1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Computer Screen Issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by WhittWhitt, Feb 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. WhittWhitt

WhittWhitt Thread Starter

My laptop's screen has looked like this for the past 3 days:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/8512516988/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/8511405335/

The screen appears to have 'glitches', whenever you move the cursur or open a new window they flash across the screen. I bought the laptop in October of last year, and haven't used it but a few times. I've never dropped it or spilled anything on the laptop and when I'm done using it it always goes back in the laptop case. Like I said I've only used it about 2-3 times and the only websites I've been to are YouTube and Grooveshark, so I'm thinking it's a hardware issue instead of something like a virus?

Any ideas?

2. dai

dai

make and model of the laptop

when you use it is it on a hard flat surface

connect a monitor and see if it is the same

reinstall the video driver get them from the makers site

3. WhittWhitt

It's an Acer Aspire V3-551-8887, yes always on a hard surface, will try both of your suggestions right now!

4. WhittWhitt

Tried both, I couldn't get the monitor/laptop thing to work so I downloaded the VGA drive from Acer, still didn't fix it

5. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    By default the laptop is probably setup to only use the attached screen. When you attach a monitor to the VGA output you need to switch the output on the laptop accordingly.

This is normally done via a keyboard shortcut, commonly Fn+F4, if you look along your F keys you should see one with a monitor like icon on or above the key, that is the one to use, the Fn key is normally on the bottom left of the keyboard as you look at it.

When you have identified the keyboard keys, with the external monitor connected press the Fn+F4 keys (or whatever combination it is on your laptop) then wait about 5 seconds as it sometimes takes a few seconds to switch, if you get no otuput try it again, do this a few times. Don't worry if your laptop screen turns off, if you keep cycling through it will come back on.

You do it a few times because most laptops have multiple video output combinations, something like those below, which you cycle through with each press of the keyboard combination.

1) Onboard Screen Only
    2) Onboard and External Output
    3) External Output Only

6. dai

dai

you usually switch to the monitor by pressing one of the F keys with a tv symbol on it

is this the driver version you d/loaded

7. WhittWhitt

Thank you! Reinstalling the VGA driver fixed it!

8. dai

dai

glad you have it sorted

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1091117

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice