1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: computer seems to be getting slower over time.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by MrKhaled, Jan 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MrKhaled

MrKhaled Thread Starter

Hi TSG,
    This is my first post after looking around for answers.
    I have a samsung npqx411w01 with i5 and 6gb, It also has NvidiaGeforce graphics with 1gb dedicated as I enjoy playing BF3.:D

I have had this computer for about 6 months now, and its been great, but over time, despite antivirus/malware/disk cleanups... it just seems to be getting slower. I am at the point now where the audio sounds cracky, and even stutters, I cant play any games since there is a significant lag, as well as with streaming of anykind and Although i thought it may only be with the wifi, it is still limited with an Ethernet cable(the internet may be a separate problem).

There was an incident nearly a month ago in which my system completely shut out. I couldn't open windows without safe mood or else i would get a windows error a few seconds after logging in. I was able to restore, but I feel things haven't been the same

Let me know what I can do to help you help me. and thanks!

here is my internet test if it helps.
    [​IMG]

2. rainforest123

rainforest123

Welcome, MrK to TGF:
    By slow do you refer to overall computer slowness or internet computer slowness?

What did you do to solve the problem to which you referred?
    "There was an incident nearly a month ago in which my system completely shut out. I couldn't open windows without safe mood or else i would get a windows error a few seconds after logging in. I was able to restore, but I feel things haven't been the same"

What are your CPU & GPU speeds?

Which HDD is in your Samsung [ size, brand, model, model # ]?

Assuming that your computer had a speed of 100 when it was new:
    What speed did have immediately after you fixed the problem, about a mon ago;

What is the speed, currently?

Internet speed MAY be out of your control.
    Internet speed depends upon, among other things, on the bandwidth available from your ISP; the load at the server to which you are trying to connect; the bandwidth available to you from your LAN [ if you are on a LAN.

If you refer to internet speed only, try both wi fi & ethernet.

Re audio: play a Windows sound;
    control panel; upper right, view by select "large icons"
    Open "sound"
    Left click "sounds" tab.

play an audio CD.
    Does the crackling you mention occur?

Do you refer to online games? What happens if you play a game built into W7, such as Solitaire or Minefield?

If this is an internet only problem:
    Which encryption do you use?
    Please provide brand, model & model # of the router.
    Test your system when you are the only person connecting to your LAN.

RF123

3. MrKhaled

MrKhaled Thread Starter

Thank you for the detailed help.
    After continued look and through the process of elimination I have a few more answers.

1. The event that shut out windows must have been some form of a windows file that was needed upon start up, I must have deleted it or misplaced it while moving around folders and compressing files,Using the "Restore to previous version" with the Samsung recovery I was able to return to normal.
    2.As for the Audio, I noticed that it simply occurred while connected to my universities wifi only, and when I tried at home (I'm rarely at home thats why i may not have noticed). I found the lag and choppy sound and streaming was non evident, leading me to believe that the unv. wifi isn't the best for streaming, and that is why everything appeared slow while connected.
    3.Running directXdiagnostic my CPU is "Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2410m CPU @ 2.30GHz (4 CPUs),~2.3GHz
    My driver is the Interl HD Graphics proccesor. Would it help to have my NvidiaGeforce graphic card set as the primary one, if yes, then how can i so that?
    4.The incident may not have been much of a factor, just a mishap that seemed to be a cause.
    HDD is good and healthy...

The only problem that seems to remain prevalent is the Internet connection with the wireless ( at my house now). I made another post in the appropriate section of the networking thread, My wireless randomly stops for a few seconds quite often.

Thank you for your help as I was able to eliminate many possible sources.

4. MrKhaled

MrKhaled Thread Starter

never mind the graphics card switching part. I found out how.

5. rainforest123

rainforest123

Mr K
    Thanks for the update.

Does "The only problem that seems to remain prevalent is the Internet connection with the wireless ( at my house now). I made another post in the appropriate section of the networking thread, My wireless randomly stops for a few seconds quite often."
    mean that your non internet connectivity issues are resolved?

If so, please mark this thread as solved by using "thread tools"

RF123

6. rainforest123

rainforest123

unsubscribed

RF123

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085704

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice