1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Computer sees my printer on the network but won't install the driver

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by IronMike778, Oct 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. IronMike778

IronMike778 Thread Starter

OK, so I spent an hour and a half on the phone with Canon support and they were awesome. But in the end they had no idea why the printer wouldn't install the driver to make the printer work wireless. It works fine on USB.

So then I called the maker of my laptop (Toshiba) and they couldn't help me either. I'm at a total loss here.

I have a new printer and a new laptop with Windows 7 and no one can figure out what the problem is. I got the printer all set and is set up properly as wireless. I installed the installation CD and it actually sees the printer on the network. But then I get this error message:

NP Drivers

An error occurred while copying files: 0200 0000

If anyone can tell me what the hell is going on here it would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Please bring your signature into compliance (3 line max). You can put your (updated :) ) computer info in the Computer Specs part of your profile.

I'll make the guess that there is a problem reading some files from the CD. Download the installation package from Canon's web site (it may even be an updated version) and try that.

3. IronMike778

IronMike778 Thread Starter

Unbelievable. It worked. (y)

No lie, I was on the phone for an hour and a half with the Canon tech support. The guy was awesome....he walked me through several potential fixes but with no luck. He had me creating new user accounts, copying and pasting files from deep in the hard drive, and even changing things in MSCONFIG. But not once did he suggest downloading a driver from the website. Finally he told me he did all he could and directed me to contact the maker of my computer. How is that possible??

Anyways, thank you very much. Two nights of incredible frustration is over!!

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

That part was partially on target. "An error occurred while copying files" indicates some kind of hardware error (hence my guess that CD files couldn't be read) or operating system error or mis-configuration.

You're welcome. :) And thanks for quickly taking care of your signature.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/959208