1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: "Computer shuts down randomly and overheats"

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by rgarr, Mar 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rgarr

rgarr Thread Starter

My 20 yr. old nephew at Wichita State sent me this email this morning asking for my help. He describes the problem below! I told him to try a system restore first but didn't think the battery needed replacing yet. The overheating concerns me as well as the random shutdowns. I told him I would get back to him before the weekend was over. Thanks in advance everyone!

I don't know if you know anything about this or not or if you can help me but I'm having some trouble with my computer.

My computer keeps just randomly shutting off when I don't even do anything. I'll be watching a video online or something and then it just goes black and shuts off.

I thought maybe it might have something to do with my battery going bad or something. My computer is less than two years old so I wouldn't think anything would be going bad yet.

Also I've noticed when it does shut down if I feel the back of my computer it feels hot so I don't know if its overheating and not getting proper ventilation because if I turn it back on and keep it elevated off the ground where it has room to ventilate then it seems to work fine. It started doing this probably about a month ago and it would do it maybe once every couple of weeks but now sometimes it does it 5 or 6 times a day.

I don't know why all of a sudden it would start overheating though because it hasn't done it the past year and a half that I've had it. I tried taking my computer to Best Buy but they said they couldn't help me. They said they didn't think it was anything they could fix and they didn't want to charge me $70 to run a diagnostic on it and then tell me they couldn't fix it. They did run some simple tests though and they said I didn't have any viruses or anything like that.

If you can't come up with anything I was going to try taking it to some other computer places here in town and see if they can figure out what's wrong with it.

2. joeten

joeten

Hi I suggest you have him buy a can of compressed air and clean out the airvents and fan get him to use a straw or similar to prevent the fan from turning,also check where he has the machine placed when in use ie lap,bed etc and tell him if he is using it to only do so on a hard flat surface beds and laps cause them to overheat as there is no airflow,he might consider getting a cooling pad or similar,oh and make sure he removes the power and battery before cleaning

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/912863

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice