1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Computer shuts down unexpectedly

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JFresh, Feb 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JFresh

JFresh Thread Starter

Hi,

I'm having trouble with my PC shutting down on me unexpectedly.

This has been a problem for a while now and I have tried some things to fix it but to no avail.

I used to have a 500W power supply where every now and then I would get an error message saying that my video card was not being supplied with enough power (the specs on the video card say it requires a minimum 400W power supply). I did have the PSU connected into the video card via a 6-pin connector. After getting this error message I decided to upgrade my PSU to a 600W power supply, hoping that it would then have enough juice.

It is at this point that although I do not get that error message any longer, my PC will shut down on me at random times.

When I do finally get it to boot again I receive no error message in any of the Event Viewer logs.

I do like to download some pretty big files (from legitimate sites) and often keep my PC on for a day or two at a time. During this time my computer is happy (doesn't shut down or anything) but when I try to start using it again, after about 5 or 6 minutes of use (playing a game, surfing the web etc) it will shutdown as if the power in the house just went out. I do not see any flashing lights and everything appears as normal otherwise. All the fans in my case work just fine and I do not feel a lot of heat coming off the CPU's heatsink. Usually my computer will not successfully boot right after this occurs. Sometimes it quits on the WIndows splash screen, sometimes it gets past that to where I need to login and then quits. If I wait a few minutes it will be OK for about 15 minutes before quitting again.

Any ideas as to what is wrong? I'd like to get a more accurate appraisal before I start replacing the more expensive parts in my PC (mobo etc.)

Thanks for any help you can provide =).

JFresh

2. bigbear

bigbear

The fact everything appears normal after a reboot makes me think it is a heat issue
    I have seen a northbridge fan failing cause the same problems you describe.
    Check in bios the system temps

3. JFresh

JFresh Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip, I'll try that when I get home tonight =).

4. renegade X

renegade X

Overheating I agree. Are you sure there were no "disk" errors in the System logs?

5. JFresh

JFresh Thread Starter

Hi,

Ok, I got the system temps for you. I just ran the PC with the BIOS Screen up overnight. The System temp reads at 32C while the CPU temp reads at 99 - 100C. I'm not sure if that's really accurate or not, as it seems like a huge difference. But I guess this means the heatsink for the CPU isn't working yes? :p The fan on top of the heatsink does/is running.
    That is all the temp values the mobo gave.

I checked all Event Viewer logs and there isn't a single error to be found. There's a couple warnings about DHCP and my network adapter but clearly nothing that would have my PC shut down.

Thanks for all your help =).

Let me know what you think!

JFresh

6. bigbear

bigbear

The cpu temps are way over the top so there maybe a problem with the reading, although bios is normally pretty reliable.
    The cpu should shut down the machine way before it reaches those temps I think default is around 60c/70c.
    Did you build this machine?
    Did you apply the correct amount of thermal paste on the cpu?
    Try redoing the cpu thermal paste.
    http://www.arcticsilver.com/instructions.htm

7. JFresh

JFresh Thread Starter

I did build this machine. And after looking at the instructions you supplied I think I see what I did wrong. Instead of applying the arctic silver in a thin line I applied it evenly all over the heatspreader on top of the CPU. I guess I'll have to get some and reapply it then. Thanks for your help =).:)

JFresh

8. JFresh

JFresh Thread Starter

So I went out and bought a new heatsink/fan ( I just used the stock heatsink/fan that came with my processor so I figured I'd upgrade it). I reapplied the thermal paste following your supplied directions and will be testing it over the next day or two =). I tested this last night (played Guild Wars, which before would shutdown the PC in 5 - 6 minutes per description above) and all seemed well. I understand there's a bit of a breakin period but in a couple days if I don't have any problems I'll mark this solved =). Again, thanks for all your help!

9. bigbear

bigbear

Good work(y)
    What are the cpu temps now?

10. JFresh

JFresh Thread Starter

Well everything's been running smoothly for several days now. I checked the CPU temps once and I'm not sure if it was right or not (it actually read in the 20's for Celcius!) I don't know if that's really accurate or not but either way the problem is resolved. Thanks for all your help =).

JFresh

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/799800

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice