1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Computer SLOW after update

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by New Rain, Jan 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. New Rain

New Rain Thread Starter

When I turned off my computer on Tuesday, it was going to install updates. Ever since then it's been terribly slow. Pages take around a minute to open, and when 2 web pages are open, that seems to be the limit, unless I give up too soon, as to what can be opened online.I've never had any problems with this computer and suddenly, it's a huge pain to get the internet to load pages.

I've read one article about "Tuesday updates" messing up computers, but it had dire warnings about following those instructions unless you are 10,000% sure your problem came from a Tuesday update. I don't know where the problem came from, but it was after a Tuesday update.

TSG Sys Info:
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU M 330 @ 2.13GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 37 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 3894 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator HD, 1723 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 291458 MB, Free - 233217 MB; D: Total - 13481 MB, Free - 2227 MB; E: Total - 99 MB, Free - 95 MB;
    Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard, 3658
    Antivirus: McAfee Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware, Updated and Enabled

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Is it slow only in respect of the internet connection - or is it slow to load windows and slow to open programs or applications

3. New Rain

New Rain Thread Starter

Mostly just internet. The first time I turned the computer on after the updates, it was slow to start up, but every time since then, it has started up fine, and actually goes to Chrome quickly, but once I see I'm online, it takes a long time for the pages to load. Not sure if that made sense - Chrome opens about the same as before, but individual pages are slow.

4. Macboatmaster

How are you connected please wireless or hard wired
    If wireless and you can - try hard wired

If it is already hard wired or you cannot try that

Use IE and see how that performs

It could be that an update from windows or indeed McAfee has effected the performance of Chrome

5. New Rain

New Rain Thread Starter

No, it isn't wireless - is TWC modum. I will try IE, but hope I don't have to use it. I hate it. Hope it can be fixed with Chrome!

6. New Rain

New Rain Thread Starter

IE was even slower than Chrome

7. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

How is browsing in Safe Mode with Networking?

8. New Rain

New Rain Thread Starter

Although I've heard of browsing in Safe Mode, I don't know what it is. My computer knowledge is not going to be on the level of anyone who replies to this thread. Sorry. If you have patience to tell me, I'll see what I can do.

9. New Rain

New Rain Thread Starter

Also, the little icon at the front of the tab of each page keeps turning as the circle, usually for a few minutes or longer after I've opened the page.

10. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

11. New Rain

New Rain Thread Starter

OK - I'll see what happens. Thanks. Will let you know

12. Macboatmaster

Take your time - do not worry about your lack of knowledge - we are here to help and all of us started on the bottom rung of the ladder.

Phantom010
    Good evening - you have to be quick these days - on here.
    I was just replying to another one of the four I am currently working on.

New Rain
    Phantom010 and I are good working colleagues - just so you do not misinterpret my comment to him.
    I am sure one or both of us will find out what the problem is

13. New Rain

New Rain Thread Starter

OK - I'm in Safe Mode now. So what is the question, exactly? It does seem faster - maybe not as fast as it was before the problem, but close to it.

And thanks for the kind words. I hate to slow people down who are trying to help me because of my lack of knowledge.

14. New Rain

New Rain Thread Starter

Just got McAfee message that Real time scanning is off. Is that because of Safe Mode?

15. Macboatmaster

Is McAfee paid for or the free edition

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1142109

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice