1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Computer slow file transfer, slow video play, slow youtube play

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by getoninja, Aug 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. getoninja

getoninja Thread Starter

sorry, if this not the right place please move. I did many google searches cant seem to find the issue Im having, or maybe lack of the right key searches. You guys are my last hope.
    I will try to explain my problem as clearly as I can. And so sorry about my bad grammar and spelling, trying to post this asap.

first off give small history of my PC. I bought my PC new Sept 2001. A HP Pavilion with 1.3 ghz, 256ram, and a 55gig hard-drive originally came with WinMe, since then I upgraded to XP. I kept my PC case clean, didn't try to install programs my PC couldn't handle, didn't go to any sites that knew were bad with viruses and such also had Malwareytes/spybot/avast/hijackthis to use, didnt install any toolbars, and tried not to have many programs open at the same time. I basically kept my PC simple with use.

Anyways around June I noticed some odd slowdowns
    While playing Winamp and running a torrent with speeds of more than 400+ the audio would become choppy. This also happen when I would open FF, IE or any program while running Winamp, the audio would be choppy.

Extracting 700mb files from Winrar would take around 8mins

Playing Youtube, WMP, of VLC videos would be slow and choppy.

Transferring files from one PC to another over a crossover cable would take much longer. 4gigs of files would take about 20mins or so.

Virus scanners, Avast, Malwarebytes, and Spybot would also take much longer than usual.

So, about 2 weeks ago while my brother was on Youtube my PC crashed and restarted. But it rebooted with a black screen
    with

"Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM"
    You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup
    using the original Setup CD-ROM.

Select ‘R’ at the first screen to start repair."

I used my other PC to google the issue and I couldnt understand how to fix it. By then I was really stressing me out, cause I didnt know what to do. Safe Mode wouldnt work and I all I really cared about was saving my family pictures. I decide to reinstall XP but not delete the partition. I ran the Repair on the XP which took about 3 hours. Finally got my Windows to load. But startup was fairly slow. I was able to backup all the files I needed. Then a day later my PC would boot with the same message from before "Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM. Etc.
    I decide to reset the RAM which worked and got my PC up and running again. Last week I finally had time to do a clean XP install. All went well and quick. Thinking all I really had was some sort of software driver issue.

Well this past Tuesdays I noticed the same slow downs, slow file transfer from PC to PC, what I mention before. Later than night I decide to do a ChckDisk scan that took about 3 hours, finally finished around 1:30 am. I was too sleepy to check if ther problems were still there. I turn the PC off and go to sleep.

Next day I turn my PC on and I get is the boot startup.

"We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose Last Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.

If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the Power or Reset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the problem, choose Start Windows
    Normally.

Safe Mode
    Safe Mode with Networking
    Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)
    Start Windows Normally

Use the up and down arrow keys to move the highlight to your choice.

Seconds until Windows starts: 30"

After I made the choice to Start Windows Normally, PC starts with a quick flash of a blue screen and the it reboots over and over with the same message. I then proceed in Safe mode and chose Monday as my earlist restore point, then problem gets fixed. My PC is up and running.

But I still have the slow issues, slow file transfers from PC to PC, slow Winrar extracts, slow Video choppy play, all the issues I mentioned before.

The question is what do you guys think the problem is? Im sure its Hardware but to be honest I dont know what.
    This problem is really stressing me out, I had this PC since 2001 and heart breaking that my PC is finally dying.:( I hope some of you understand that had a PC for such a long time how attached you get. I try not to think much about the issue and just my PC as much as I can till just wont work anymore.

Well hope maybe you guys can shed some positive light, maybe I need to upgrade ram, or HD.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated it as always.

2. pubtech

pubtech

that would speak "slow" to anyone.

:eek: mine's 6yrs old :eek:

1.6,sempron,1gb, 320gb+80gb,Win 7 ultimate. :cool: runner.

slow in some respects. but very stable. :confused:

( tongue firmly in cheek )

cheers.

3. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Could be the aging Hdd needs to be replaced. On my older systems, the small IDE hard drives (epsecially the maxtor drives) had a tendancy to do this when they were on thier last legs.

4. pubtech

pubtech

"Maxtor"...don't swear at me.:eek:

new hdd wouldn't hurt at all.

btw. i'm an old fisherman.:rolleyes:

Lobster that is.

5. catlady13

catlady13

Yes I too think the hard drive is going. If it still spins at all you could use something like an ubuntu "live cd" to get off pictures and such. That will only work though if it isn't too far gone. Etaf if I remember correctly has posted rather good instructions on how to do it and I have done it myself before. Stop trying to boot the machine though or do anything else as every time you try you will make the hard drive worse. Get your information off first with this method or something similar before it is toast.
    If you can't find the instructions post again and I will find his post for you.

6. getoninja

getoninja Thread Starter

yeap, the HD is still working. Im actually still using my PC to make these posts. I can still transfer the files to my other PC, just takes so long.

But when I reinstalled XP two weeks ago everything ran quick and fast, till the other day when the problems started to come back slowly. And just today my PC startup took a little longer.

I also should mention when transfering files from my Master HD to my Slave internal HD also takes longer than usual. And the intrenal WD HD 200gig is basicly new, got it earlier this year.

And I know PC is old and not as fast but I only use my PC for the internet, movies using VLC, listening to music, PS7 for photos/art. The most I use my PC for is the internet and for music off my HD using Winamp lite. Only video games I play is NES Roms. Thats about it. Im pretty pleased with my PCs performance. But more RAM wouldnt hurt.

Anyways, why do you guys think the HD is going out and not the RAM or other Hardware?

7. pubtech

pubtech

hi.

the slow pc only has 1 hd if i read right ?
    transferring from fast to slow hdd will only run at the slowest speed possible to or from hdd's

go here> http://hddscan.com/

run a scan and see what it tells you. free !

xp is formated in NTFS i take it?

more ram is a must for xp really. sorry i didn't mention that before.!

8. getoninja

getoninja Thread Starter

256 of Ram is fine for XP. I have not had any issues with PC till this past June with those odd slow downs. XP is formatted to NTFS.

I forgot to mention my PC does have two HDs, Master is the 55gig, slave is a WD 200gig. Transferring files from the Master to Slave takes longer than usual. I actually don't use the Slave HD much.

Transferring files from the Master HD from my PC to another PC over crossover cable/network also takes much longer than usual.

Just getting lots of odd slow downs. Playing videos in WMP and VLC are slow choppy/skippy.
    Watching Youtube/flash videos are also slow choppy/skippy.

I just want to make sure the HD is failing so I can maybe make the 200gig Slave into the master.

9. pubtech

pubtech

you don't mention whether you scanned with hddscan. run it for your own peace of mind if nothing else.

( i had 256 on an old PIII, couldn't believe the improvement with 512mb ! )

cheers.

10. getoninja

getoninja Thread Starter

you are right, more Ram will make my PC perform better. I do plan on upgrading my Ram to 512 or 1gig.
    But for now I really need to know for sure if my problem is the Hard Drive, before making my Slave HD into the Master.

And I cant use http://hddscan.com/. I need at least 1.5ghz to run the software. but thanks for the help.

11. pubtech

pubtech

12. getoninja

getoninja Thread Starter

ok, I installed PC Wizard 2010. How do I check if my Hard Drive is bad?
    thx

13. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Personally I would go to the Manufacturers website of the drive in question and download the diagnostic program, such as Data Lifegaud Diagnostics if WD, or Seatools if Seagate, Maxtor, or Quantum. It is better to use the manufacturers daignostic software than a third party software.

14. getoninja

getoninja Thread Starter

cool, thanks. But who else thinks my Hard Drive is also failing or maybe its other hardware?

15. Prohibited

Prohibited

With that CPU, I doubt you will be able to get any real fast speeds.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/946200

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice