1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: computer starts but no picture on monitor

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by momathome, May 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. momathome

momathome Thread Starter

My 9 year old daughter was on the kid's Compaq computer using the "Jumpstart" Web site when she says "the computer started doing something and then the monitor went dark." She thinks there was a message that said something about "internet explorer" right before the monitor went dark. I wonder if what happened was that there was a problem with internet explorer so it "turned off" OR I wonder if the computer was just restarting itself after an automatic download in order for the new stuff to take effect. I think it was highly possible that when the computer started "doing its own thing" that my daughter started clicking keys to try to stop the process not knowing what was going on.

So now here is what I am left with. The green power button on the monitor is not lit and the screen shows nothing. I can turn the computer off by pressing the power button on the tower (I hear one ding). I can turn the computer on by pressing the power button on the tower...I hear the computer power-up, I hear the usual "ta-da-ta-da" and then a few seconds later a "da-da," but the monitor does nothing. After the computer has set for awhile and is quiet, I can move the mouse and hear the computer "wake up," but still see nothing on the monitor.:confused:

Do you think my daughter pushed something that is the reason the monitor seems to be "turned off," and if so, what can I try? I understand computers very little so what I have tried is pushing escape. the sleep button, control-alt-delete, F11, and stuff like that.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. digitalsatori

digitalsatori

Hi momathome,

It sounds more like trouble with the physical connections on the monitor, but it is possible something changed on your windows settings. Try disconnecting the monitor cable (the cable that runs from the back of the monitor to the back of the computer) and reconnect it on both ends. You can leave the computer on to see if the display comes back.

If that doesn't work, try booting the computer in Safe Mode to see if this will allow you to get the monitor to come up. Press the power button on your computer to turn it off, then turn it back on. Begin hitting the F8 key on your keyboard repeatedly (don't hold it down) for about 20-30 seconds. Then press enter and give your computer a few minutes to power up.

If your monitor comes back in Safe Mode, things will look really strange. Right-click anywhere on the desktop that does not have an icon, then click on "Properties" in the menu that appears. This should open your display properties. From there, click on the Advanced tab and see what your monitor settings are. If you have more than one monitor that shows up in that window, make sure Monitor 1 is active and set as the "Primary" display. If so, click OK and try restarting the computer.

Hope this helps!

--- Russ

3. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    You seem to have marked this thread solved. Is that correct, and you've found the solution? If not, I suggest you undo that (click "Mark Unsolved") or you'll risk driving away help.

Unfortunately very often it is the simplest thing that's at fault, so do just make sure that the monitor is plugged in, the power button is on, etc. Personally I doubt that safe mode will have any effect whatsoever.

4. momathome

momathome Thread Starter

Yes, my problem is solved. I must admit that I am a little embarrassed :eek:because the connection to the monitor seems to have been loose. I had checked the plugs into the back of the tower, but didn't think to check the plugs on the back of the monitor. The connections there had never become loose before, but you can bet I won't forget to check this in the future, if this were to happen again.

Thanks everyone!(y)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920814

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice