1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Computer Stuck in Hibernation

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by BobSmith, Jan 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BobSmith

BobSmith Thread Starter

I recently stripped the cord running from my USB mouse to the computer on accident, so until i get a new mouse I use the keyboard only for now. I was attempting to switch users by hitting the windows key and going to switch users, when I accidentally hit Hibernate. The computer went into hibernation and NOTHING I do will bring it out, the fan is still running, the monitor shuts itself off and will not show anything when I reboot the computer or try anything else. Ive tried many ways to restart the computer and bring it back out but I've had no luck, as of right now I'm using my parents computer until I can get my own running again. Any help would be appreciated!

2. malifluous

malifluous

Yo dude, pull the power plug out of the back, and plug it back in. Then turn your computer on and it should boot up normally.

3. BobSmith

BobSmith Thread Starter

Thanks for trying to help, but I've tried that, no luck...

4. BobSmith

BobSmith Thread Starter

I tried it again to make sure, still no luck

5. Augie65

Augie65

You probably have tried, but if you hold the power button down, it should restart. You can also try rebooting in safe mode and see if it will start.

6. BobSmith

BobSmith Thread Starter

I've tried that many times, it restarts the computer fine, you can hear everything restarting inside the computer as if it were a normal reboot. But the monitor has also powered off and i have to press the on button a few times to get it to turn on, and even then the screen is still just black... I've tried getting it to run in safe mode by tapping F8 during start up and that didnt help either, is there a certain time i need to press it? If so I'm not sure if that can be done since I only have the beep sounds and no visual to tell me its starting.

7. Augie65

Augie65

I would just start tapping F8 as soon as you start the computer. It is hard sometimes, to hit it at the right time anyway.

8. BobSmith

BobSmith Thread Starter

ya that didnt work... im running out of options here

9. amthmi

amthmi

I have not see this personally but a friend had the same thing
    happen on a laptop. I didn't know what to do. It was suggested by another friend
    to press and hold down the enter key ( don't know how long, maybe 20 seconds ).
    The laptop came out of hibernation which surprised me.
    Just a thought...

10. BobSmith

BobSmith Thread Starter

well i kept holding enter for about 2 min... nothing...

11. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Hi Bob,

Have you tried communicating with one or more of the community newsgroups at Microsoft.

This really sounds like a very special problem they could probably help you with. I've not run into the problem myself, but would be interested in know what the solution is - should I ever be faced with the same problem.

BTW, what version of the OS are you running and SP1 or SP2?

-- Tom

Start with http://support.microsoft.com which may have a link to the newsgroups.

12. amthmi

amthmi

It was a shot in the dark...I've never heard nor read anything about using the enter key
    to bring a pc out of hibernation until this past weekend. Like I said I didn't see this personally, I was told by a friend.
    Sorry it didn't work for you...
    I've made a couple of phone calls in your behalf but no solutions..

13. BobSmith

BobSmith Thread Starter

Thanx for your help, both of you! and by the way I have Windows XP Pro, and SP2... and I will try the newsgroups at microsoft here shortly.

14. Chris311x

Chris311x

any video card issues?

15. BobSmith

BobSmith Thread Starter

I got a new nVidia Geforce FX 5500, 256MB video card about a year ago, and I've never had any problems with it.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/436609

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice