1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Computer suddenly shuts off

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Beta19, Apr 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Beta19

Beta19 Thread Starter

Not sure if this is where I'm supposed to put this, but here goes. My father's laptop keeps shutting off. I know the battery is very poor, but I don't think it is what is causing the problem. When you boot the computer up, it runs through boot, loads windows, but as soon as it gets to the login screen, it suddenly does a hard shut down, like it suddenly loses power. Turn it back on and you get the "start windows normaly" option and it loads windows, but as soon as it comes to the login screen, complete shuts off, no shutting down, just hard shut down. The battery is bad enough that when you unplug the power cord, it shuts off like that, but the power cord was plugged in. We had a bad storm last night, but the power cord was plugged into a surge protector, so I don't know if the cord is damaged. When the computer shuts off at log in screen, it seems to do it at the same place. I don't know if it is a power issue or a Windows issue.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance guys

Adam

2. Sponsor

3. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

it maybe a heat issue or software if exact moment

Have you tried removing the battery completely and just run with the power adapter?

4. flavallee

flavallee Frank Trusted Advisor

Start it in "safe mode" or "safe mode with networking" and see if it still shuts off at the same point.

-----------------------------------------------------------

5. Beta19

Beta19 Thread Starter

Frank, tried safe mode and yes, still shuts off.....That's why I'm afraid it might be Windows and not a hardware problem. I don't want to mess with it yet until I have some more expert help. Wayne, I will try running with battery absent just to eliminate another possibility. Thanks guys.

6. flavallee

What's the brand name and model name and model number of that laptop?

What Windows version did it come with and is currently running?

-------------------------------------------------------------

7. Beta19

Beta19 Thread Starter

Frank, it's a Toshiba Satellite L655 and has Windows 7 Home Premium.

8. Beta19

Beta19 Thread Starter

It's the battery.......Did as Wayne suggested and took the battery out and turned computer on....came to log on screen and stayed on...even logged on and computer worked as expected......shut computer down and put battery back in with power cord plugged in and turned the computer on and guess what....gets to login screen and it hard shuts down. Took the battery back out and turned the computer back on with power cord in and it stayed on....let me log in and everything and runs fine. So by this I assume the battery is the culprit??? I also find it curious that it shuts down at the same place, but without the battery in, the computer boots up fine and works fine too.

9. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

I have had a few laptops where the battery caused that type of issue

If you need the portability, you will need to get a replacement battery
    or
    just run on power adapter - BUT be careful - its easy to pull out and that will then crash the PC - so you don't want to do that to often.

10. flavallee

There should be a dash and additional characters after L655 that comprises its complete model number.

There should also be a part/product number that has 2 sets of characters separated by a dash.

If you can find one or both of those numbers on that laptop, advise what they are.

I've resurrected or serviced a number of Toshiba Satellite laptops over the years, and they seem to be more prone to battery and power adapter issues than other laptop brands.

11. Beta19

Beta19 Thread Starter

Wayne, thanks for the help and info. Frank...There is more info on the model, but I am not near the computer at this moment, I have already found an exact replacement battery for it and am going to try that solution first. So far, the laptop is running fine and has had no problems whatsoever. I also agree with you on the battery issue as I started having battery issues after only 3 months of having the computer. This is the 3rd battery for this computer......but I have never had this problem before. Thanks everyone and I will mark this as solved. If I have any other problems, I will post a new thread. Again guys, Thank You!

12. flavallee

The exact description of that laptop isn't necessary at this point.

I only wanted it so I could locate the support site for your laptop.

13. Beta19

Beta19 Thread Starter

Well thank you anyway Frank! It is much appreciated.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1146405