1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Computer turns off immediately after pushing power button when I turn it on

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by neomatrix248, Jan 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. neomatrix248

neomatrix248 Thread Starter

This morning I came to my computer and it had a BSOD from my wireless adapter driver. This has happened a few times before. But when I turned it off and tried to turn it back on, it wont start! As soon as I press the power button, the lights flash and the fans get one jolt of power causing them to spin and die out immediately and then everything stops in under a seccond. What could be causing this? I did add a new new hard drive to my computer yesterday, but it has restarted fine a few times since then, and unplugging it didn't fix the problem. Other than that, I can't think of anything that is different that would be causing this. Any ideas?

2. Anorea

Anorea

Sounds to me like you pushed your power supply too hard with the addition of a new hard drive... You might have to get a new one. Does it smell like burning chocolate? If you have another PC, try plugging the power supply into that and seeing if it will start that one up. If not, get a new power supply that will be able to handle both hard drives.
    This is just what I think though. I may be wrong.

3. neomatrix248

Actually it randomly started working again. I unplugged the power cable and left it unplugged with the PSU off for about 10 minutes then tried it again and it worked. Not really sure what happened though : /

4. Anorea

Anorea

You mentioned earlier that it had done that a few times before, right?
    Try and make sure that you don't have any viruses, etc.
    You should also check (just to make sure) that the power supply can handle both HD's.

5. neomatrix248

The BSOD caused by the driver has happened a few times before, but never the problem starting up.

I have a 900 watt power supply so it should be able to handle an extra hard drive fine if it could handle the system before hand.

EDIT: Also, i've had 2 hard drives in here since I got it, but I had to take one out and put a new one in because it was corrupted. The new one probably takes a little more power though because it's 7200 RPM instead of the 5X00 RPM one

6. Anorea

Anorea

Well I'm glad you solved it! ^_^
    You should mark your thread as solved now. :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/788208

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice