1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Computer turns off randomly while gaming!!

Discussion in 'Games' started by boomers rule, Jan 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. boomers rule

boomers rule Thread Starter

Hey there.

After installing my new XFX 9800 I know have had this turning off randomly issue shortly after I got it. What happens is after a little while of playing (around the couple hour mark) my computer just turns off and doesn't turn back on again. Just before my computer turns off my graphics card's fan goes a bit loud. I did look this up and I figure it is a heating issue. So how can I solve this problem? Is there somewhere on my computer where I can check what fans I got? What fan should I get to support this card? And no this turning off issue has not ever happened before I got my new graphics card.

2. boomers rule

3. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    I had a similar problem with my XFX8800GT, the first thing I did (which did help) was downlaod NTune.

Go to

http://www.nvidia.com/object/ntune_5.05.54.00.html

and download NTune. This is a utility by NVidia which opens up additional functionality to your graphics card settings.

Once installed, open up the normal control panel for the graphics card and you should see a number of addtional options available. What you need to do is find the fan speed settings for the GPU, when you are going to do some gaming change the fan speed setting from automatic to manual and set the fan speed up to 100% (to test it). This will produce extra noise but if it works you can play around with it and find out what the optimum fan speed is with a balance of no crashing and noise level.

I can't remember exactly where the fan speed option is and I am at work so can't check. You will get a standard EULA to agree to in that area because it will also contain overclocking options once NTune has been installed.

In the long run I ended up buying an after market GPU cooler.

4. burnthepc

burnthepc

If Ntune isn't doing it for you you could try Everest:
    http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.php?ps=UE&lang=en
    - there's a free trial version available. That will allow you to check the GPU temp.

One problem I had with an old system was the same as this. GPU overheated and caused the system to power off suddenly. I fitted a custom cooler to fix the problem. It didn't.

The GPU didn't overheat anymore but it still crashed. I couldn't return it as it had a custom cooler and that voided the warranty.

I think the bottom line is that a GPU shouldn't do this if it's on factory settings. Just take it back to the shop and get one that works.

5. boomers rule

Thanks Ntune worked!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/791856

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice