1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Computer turns off randomly

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by deweys21, Apr 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. deweys21

deweys21 Thread Starter

My computer restarts randomly depending on how long in between the times it already restarted. if i haven't used it in a few days it works for a few hours and if it has turned of anywhere from 1min to 5 hours it only stays on for a few secs to a couple of minuets. I have tried replacing almost everything. Including Power supply, ram, hard drive, unplugging everything unnecessary(Video Card, Mouse and keyboard, Network stuff, just the power cord and monitor left in).

I'm 98% sure the processor is not over heating sense i ran programs to check the temp and it shuts down even if the the core and everything is below 35° and the processor is cool to the touch. What has me stumped is I can replace the hard drive with a spare one with Windows XP freshly on it and it will still restart. I have tried to disable all the network drivers installed on my computer.

Any suggestions or thoughts would be great! (Even if you dont think it could be the problem).

The computer has a 700w Power supply. (OCZ Tech)
    AMD 6000+ Processor (not over clocked)
    2Gigs ram. (A-DATA)
    512 8600GTO Video Card.(PNY)
    M2N68-LA Mother board... (It's out of a Compact.)((Think its ASUS)
    Running Windows Vista 32-Bit.(All Updates)

Tried running it like:
    300w Power Supply
    AMD 6000+ Processor
    512 Ram
    Onboard Video
    M2N68-LA Mother Board
    Windows Vista and XP both 32-Bit

2. DreadStorm

DreadStorm

First Name:
    Wayne
    Corrupted driver perhaps, or even "zapping" your user's profile? Have you attempted to log in as a different user yet?

3. deweys21

deweys21 Thread Starter

No, but i just log on as admin and it still powered off... And I have realized some times the computer runs slower then normal.(not super slow just slower). Thanks for the try!

4. DreadStorm

DreadStorm

First Name:
    Wayne
    Running in safe mode tells me it's one of two things - driver for something, or malware. You've already done most of the troubleshooting yourself. That's all that remains, really.

5. deweys21

deweys21 Thread Starter

What explains it shutting off running a different hard drive with a different OS on it?

6. DreadStorm

DreadStorm

First Name:
    Wayne
    Using Linux or another version of Windows? Because if it's the same OS (for example, XP), and same drivers you installed, my suspicion remains. But if you're using Linux on the other drive, or (for example) Vista, I'd suspect BIOS at that point, or a support chip on the board might be going out also. Have you flashed the BOIS with the most recent version?

7. deweys21

deweys21 Thread Starter

Alright my bad... It dont stay on in safe mode. But yeah i used xp and vista. Im not sure how to flash the BIOS. But im going to look it up and do that right now. And Ill edit the first post to fix it.

8. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

Typically, the computer will randomly shut down for one of 3 reasons: (1) bad motherboard sensors; (2) overheating; (3) bad power supply. 1 is unlikely. You stated that 2 is unlikely, although I'm at a loss to know how you discovered that the CPU was cool to the touch.

That leaves the power supply.

Courtney

9. deweys21

deweys21 Thread Starter

To figure the CPU was not hot I ripped the heat sink off after the computer turned off several times in a row...(was a little mad at it.) Ill have to barrow someones 450+ power supply because when I put my 300w supply in it still does it, but the processor i have takes 125w just for its self to run. Not sure if 300w is enough to keep it stable.
    Thanks for all the suggestions so for!

10. DreadStorm

DreadStorm

First Name:
    Wayne
    I've found recently that some motherboards require 350 watts of power just to run the mobo. It's becoming more and more common to bank on at least a 450-watt or better, and that's for a basic, minimal system.

11. deweys21

deweys21 Thread Starter

Another thing i realized is the mobo right next to the processor get kinda hot... not sure what causes it.

12. casper0191

casper0191

have you tried to Scan the system might be infected with some computer Virus.

13. deweys21

deweys21 Thread Starter

Not a Virus problem... hence I tried running Windows XP from another Hard Drive. Thinks anyways!

14. casper0191

casper0191

Hm.. Well did you consider that your computer had a hard ware problem?

15. deweys21

deweys21 Thread Starter

I got a new mobo and when i pulled the old one out of the case on the back side only it was burned bad.... all around the +4 plug. you could not tell from the top side. thanks for all the help!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/814651

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice