1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Computer turns on but does not boot after new PSU installation.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by imranq, Nov 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. imranq

imranq Thread Starter

Hey guys, I just upgraded my PSU today from a Thermaltake 430W PSU to a Corsair 850W HX Modular PSU. It's all fine and dandy, the only problem is, is that my computer isn't working properly.

The computer turns on, the fans are spinning and the case lights are lighting up as they should be. However, there is no signal from the monitor, mouse or keyboard. The computer does not boot up at all, it just turns on and that is it.

I have checked that all the cables are plugged in properly, I have tried releasing the stored electricity by switching the PSU off, turning the PC on so it runs briefly for about half a second, and turning the PSU back on and turning the computer back on. To no avail, that does not work. I have also tried unplugging the power cord into the PSU, that does not work either.

Although, I have noticed, is that when I try to hold the computer down for the 5 seconds for a safe shutdown, that doesn't work. When I first installed the PSU, the PC could shut off from the 5 second shutdown sequence, but now it just doesn't do it anymore. I also had a half glance at the keyboard with the lights lighting up, it did it briefly and now there is no signal from my monitor, mouse and keyboard. I cannot get into BIOS or anything, no splash screen or anything comes up, no lights from the mouse and keyboard either. But my Thermaltake Mousepad lights up when the PSU is switched on from the back.

I have also tried unplugging my secondary hard drive and trying to boot with just my main hard drive, that also didn't work.

This is extremely odd, can anybody help me out at all? I seriously need to use my computer for work, and I am a fairly avid gamer, I get seriously bored easily...

My Computer's Specifications
    Thermaltake Kandalf Full Tower Case
    ASUS P5Q Motherboard
    4GB of DDR2 1066MHz Corsair RAM (2x2GB sticks)
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
    Galaxy GeForce 8600 1GB GT
    Zalman 8700NT CPU Cooler
    1x 500GB Western Digital SATA Cavier Green Hard Drive (primary)
    1x 250GB Seagate SATA Hard Drive (secondary)
    850W Corsair HX Modular Power Supply (just upgraded from a 430W Thermaltake PSU)
    Viewsonic 24" VX Monitor
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64x

2. win2kpro

win2kpro

If the machine ran OK on the ThermalTake power supply, the 1st thing to do is double check and make sure all the connectors are properly connected. If so, then hook the new power supply to a power supply tester and check the voltages. Make sure you have the +12v auxiliary processor connected.

This is one reason I dislike modular power supply's. With modular power supply's all the leads excepting the main power lead have twice as many points of potential failure as does a hard wired power supply.

3. imranq

imranq Thread Starter

I don't have a power supply tester. I have checked that all the cables are in together.

Corsair is a quality brand, and this is a top of the line PSU, so there shouldn't be anything wrong with the wiring of this PSU?

4. win2kpro

win2kpro

You're correct Corsair is a great brand, I use quite a few of them, however with ANY power supply, no matter what the brand there is always a chance of getting a defective unit right out of the box.

5. imranq

imranq Thread Starter

So then what am I supposed to do now? :(

I have just tried taking the RAM sticks out of the computer, the computer does need beep at all, like it should be. So now I am seriously led to the problem being the PSU. If the PSU was defective, it wouldn't even be turning on right? I doubt it is defective, just something wrong with the wires or something.

6. win2kpro

win2kpro

If you don't have a tester, take the power supply into a shop that does have a tester and have it tested, If it tests bad, RMA it.

If the machine ran with the ThermalTake, and all you changed was the power supply, then the power supply has to be highly suspect.

7. imranq

imranq Thread Starter

I suppose I'll wait for some more opinions before I take it anywhere.

8. lehatche

lehatche

Try replacing with the ThermalTake. If it does not power up my guess is the new power supply took out your MB.

9. imranq

imranq Thread Starter

Never mind guys. It's all fixed now. I just had to plug in an 8 pin power cable into the motherboard, as the other PSU had a 4 pin power connector, I couldn't see the rest of the 4 pins because there was a platelet covering it on my motherboard. Thanks for the help anyway guys.

10. win2kpro

win2kpro

Post #2, last line of paragraph 1.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/879706

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice