1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Computer turns on but no signal.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dttah, Jun 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dttah

dttah Thread Starter

Hello everyone. I am having a problem with my parents' pc.

The computer in question is mounting an asrock Alive NF6P and the main problem is that even tho it turns on, it doesn't show much on the screen.
    At times (but now it's been a while) I have luck getting something on screen keeping pressed with no power on the power button ( I heard it resets the bios ) . But after that it wouldn't work properly, the keyboard didn't work for example. And whenever I restarted I didn't have signal on the monitor again.

I thought the problem was the PSU (both the old one and new one are 500w) so I changed it with another one which was correctly functioning ( I was using it before I bought a new one) but the problem is still there.
    I thought the battery in the mobo had drained off but changing it had no effect.

I even tried putting on an old GPU (but completely functional, I tested it) an ATI 2600 but still no signal.
    Last time I got some signal it got stuck in the startup with the following error: "CMOS checksum error".

Now I am completely stuck and can't get any signal anymore.
    I am suspecting a mobo failure. Any ideas?
    Thanks for the help.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Did this system ever work? Did it work and this problem just developed OR did you change any hardware?

Have you tried to get the board to post in a very basic config? If not, do the following;
    1 Open the case and pull the pw connectors from ALL drives; both hd and optical
    2 Pull out all add-in cards; ie sound, nic/lan, and video card [that board has onboard video so for the test, use the onboard video]
    3 Remove all of the ram. Install only one ram chip in the first ram slot
    4 Reseat both the atx and aux pw connectors
    5 Clear cmos with the clear jumper [read your mb manual for a detailed description] Return the jumper to the normal or keep position
    6 Pw ON and see if you get a display. If you do, shutdown and start connecting devices one at a time until you find the failed component. If it does not get a display, you need to swap parts with known good units ie mb, cpu, ram, pw supply until you find the failed part.

Note that mb is as least 4 generations old tech and not really worth putting any money into fixing. If it is a board problem, a new modern mb, cpu, and ram would be a better option.

3. dttah

dttah Thread Starter

Hello again. I tried what you said. I unattached all devices and turned it on after clearing the CMOS and I get the signal. I got the message "Checksum bad" yet again and I tried pressing F2 to get into the bios but the keyboard won't work.
    If I restart, the signal goes blank again. So basically to get signal I have to re-do the same thing but still keyboard doesn't work.
    This seems to happen both when hard drive and optical are attached or when they are not.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Well then the next thing is to do what step #6 tells you to do ie swap parts with known good units to find out what is causing the issue.
    Again that system is not worth putting much [if any] money into fixing. Unless you have test parts available, it would cost you more to find out what is causing the issue than it would to purchase a new board, ram, cpu, etc.

5. dttah

dttah Thread Starter

Yeah well the computer is kind of old so I guess it's time to say farewell. Thanks for your help.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1128266

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice