1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: computer turns on ...BUT.......

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by boogey, Feb 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. boogey

boogey Thread Starter

HELLO THERE ..I HAVE A FRIENDS COMPUTER HERE..when you turn it on ..it starts up you can hear it going but...thats all it does! there is a new power supply in it i tried hooking up another hard drive figureing the drive was bad..nothing...tried to open the cd rom wont work not even a light on itput in old cd rom i had it opened up but when i attached the rom to the board..it wont open unattach it and it works(with ribbon cables)the monitor i have (2 of them)will not workwhen attached. i dont know what is on it i think win 2000!there is 266 mb ram....dont knowif pentium or celeron or what speed...any body got ideas...thanx boogey

2. sy2

sy2

Will either of the 2 monitors that you have work with another PC?

Also, can you tell if the computer is booting up regularly? I mean is the problem that you can't see anything on the monitor or that you turn the PC on and nothing happens at all - no blinking from the "thinking" light or anything.

It sounds like it may just be a monitor problem, maybe bad cords or something. If the monitor works with another PC try setting it up to your friend's PC using cords that you know work. If it still doesn't work it may be a motherboard problem or a video card problem.

This may be a post for the hardware forum, but I'm not sure.

3. boogey

boogey Thread Starter

thanx for the response sy2 .....both monitors work on my computer. When you turn on the computer ...the light on the front stays lit it does NOT blink just stays lit... i tried to hook up another hard drive to it...it still does the same....it just runs on!There is no video card in this one. I put one in it and hooked the monitor up to it still nothing!on the mother board there is alight on inside there is lettering on the board P--LLED next to it!dont know if that matters..i will try posting this in the hard ware forum...thanx for the help!!!! boogey

4. SliverBullet

SliverBullet

Heh try checking something for me, Take off the heat sink from the processor and take the processor off the board or if its a slot processor take the processor out of the slot and remove the heat sink. Check for any burn marks on the processor if its slot or on the mobo if its socket. I think thats whats wrong with that computer, my friend had one that did that and we finally figured out that the processor had overheated and had fried cause it would turn on but nothing would appear on monitor or anything . Occasionally it would work but would go off within minutes

Check that and post back

other people on forums might be able to help more

5. boogey

boogey Thread Starter

cant get to the chip....afraid to hook the clip..might damage board....sounds like you are right though...checked under hardware forums...seen a prob. like mine....they figure mobo..either way gonna be not so cheap to fix.any other ideas or tell me how to get clip off!!!thanx
    boogey

6. SliverBullet

SliverBullet

heh just try using a screw driver on the clip to push it down on one side it should be fairly apparant which side and then getting the rest of it off should be no problem but thats the first thing i would check

sorry bro but it doesnt look like it will be cheap anyway ya look at it :(

7. boogey

boogey Thread Starter

hehe..that was simple ...NOT...HAD TO TAKE OUT POWER SUPPLY TO GET AT IT...BUT ITS DONE...THE CHIP AND ALL LOOKS GOOD..there is discoloration ..like when you leave a picture on the wall and all the paint fades around itbut nothing looks burnt! is there a way to tell if the mobois fried apart from nothing working right..would there be some sort of burn marks !

there is alight on the mobo that mean anything (not fried) thanx again

8. sy2

sy2

Did you resolve this? What did it turn out to be?

9. boogey

boogey Thread Starter

yah the mobo is gone i tried the POST testit failed worse than i ever did in school!!haha

thanx for the help!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/443069

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice