1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: computer turns on for a few then turns off on its own

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by shaleradon, Aug 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shaleradon

shaleradon Thread Starter

hello im trying to figure out what is causing this this problem in my computer i just got a new asrock g31m-s r2.0 mother board because my old motherboards pci slot stopped working.... and now after putting everything together the computer will turn on for about 3 seconds and then shuts itself off this is really frustrating any help would be appreciated

edit: i also want to mention that i bought new ram with the motherboard

Edit: i also got it to go into bios once but it shut off while i was in it as well

Ok so another edit: after searching the forums i have been trying many things to find the problem still cant figure it out tho

things i have tried:

i have removed everything from the motherboard such as:

Graphics card
    sound card
    hard drive
    dvd drives
    and the ram
    even the front panel usb
    i did this by taking them out one by one(never putting them back in) and testing by turning it back on

this is still very frustrating any help would be appreciated

2. frankjohn

frankjohn

Suspect power supply > re check all the connections.Start off with the basic hardware install to the board>make sure the hardware is compatible to the board?

3. shaleradon

i should have mentioned the psu is new as well i have also tested it in another computer.
    and i guess now is a good time to mention that since i got this motherboard the computer has not worked properly at all today(i got the motherboard today to replace the old one since its pci express slot stop working.)

Edit: what do you mean check if the hardware is compatible?

4. shaleradon

5. catlady13

catlady13

Is hardware compatible? This means for example is your cpu listed on the motherboard page as being compatible. Is your ram listed either on the motherboard page or on one of the known ram manufacturers page as being compatible.
    Other things to check if you used the old cpu did you clean all the old pad or paste or whatever off with 99% alcohol or the equivalent thereof and put on the proper amount when reseating it and putting on the heatsink. Is the heatsink/cpu mounted correctly to make proper contact with enough pressure cause if it isn't heat will cause things to shutdown to protect the processor.
    Were you careful mounting the new board to not use too many risers and cause a short? I always mark the spots were I need risers with a sharpie before I put them in.
    You may need to do an out of case build to make sure you haven't shorted something on the case.

6. shaleradon

ok so it turned out to be a problem with the heatsink on the cpu..

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/940753

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice