1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Computer turns on, won't boot.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by iwishiwascooltoo, Jul 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. iwishiwascooltoo

iwishiwascooltoo Thread Starter

After taking apart my homebuilt computer yesterday for some routine cleaning, I reassembled it and it no longer boots. When I press the power button all the fans come on, and my Hard Drive LED blinks 3 times but nothing displays on my monitor. The LED continues to blink three times every ten seconds or so, but I haven't been able to find any information on blink codes for my hard drive.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Does anyone have any ideas for what I can try to fix this thing? I hope this is enough information, but if not just tell me what you need to know.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Open it up and check all your connections. Especially check the video card--it is easy to make the back pop up when the heavy cable pulls on it.

3. darkelf_18

darkelf_18

Been awhile since I had that problem. And please quote me if I am wrong anyone.
    But I think I cleared the BIOS/CMOS by either removing the battery, or doing it with the Mobo's jumpers...
    But follow Elvandil's advice first... I haven't done heavy tech support in years... So I am abit rusty on the matter :(

4. iwishiwascooltoo

I have checked all of the connections multiple times. I have even disconnected everything from the motherboard and reconnected it and I have the same problem. I have tried clearing the CMOS by shorting the jumper, but that didn't solve the problem either.

It seems like the computer keeps restarting because when I turn it on the cd drive spins up and the hard drive LED blinks three times then after about ten seconds the cd drive spins up again and the hard drive LED blinks 3 times and this continues about every ten seconds until I power it down.

5. darkelf_18

darkelf_18

Hmm... You have any extra parts you can swap in and out to test and see if one of your parts are fried?

Best of luck to you :D

6. iwishiwascooltoo

Problem Solved!

I was examining my CPU and I noticed 3 or 4 pins were all bent to hell so I straightened 'em out and now my computer is working fine. (well actually I'm having a new problem that I think is unrelated, but I'm going to create a new thread for that one.) I think the pins probably got bent the other day because when I removed the heatsink, the processor was stuck to it and came out without me even releasing the lever.

Thanks for your help everyone.

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

That's good news. Those pins can break off so easily when being straightened that finding that as a problem is bittersweet.

Glad you were one of the lucky ones :D.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/596329

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice