1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: computer upgrade on the cheap?

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by fordprefect, Oct 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fordprefect

fordprefect Thread Starter

Here's what I've got http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph05883&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=58772 and a budget of next to nothing (say $100)--I need to replace the mobo/processor & memory to get the old family computer able to handle basic web surfing and mp3 & CD creation.Can it be done? Everything else about this HP8650C is in good working order, two optical drives, HDD, etc.

Any advice or ideas where else to start looking would be appreciated.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    often those motherboards are specific to HP and the mounting holes in a different place, plus the PSU power supply is unique etc etc

really all you are saying is the Two optical drives are OK, I suspect the HDD
    looking at the spec - I suspect the HDD is very small too.

This machine should be able to web surf OK
    MP3 - should be able to play MP3, storage maybe an issue - but you could use an external USB drive, i suspect these are 1.1 so again slow

Whats the OS you have

My advice would be to replace the machine, not sure what $100s buys ....

3. fordprefect

Thanks for the reply!
    I've dualbooted Ubuntu Dapper along with the original Win98SE on the orig. 20 GB HDD
    ---Just thought I'd be able to squeeze some more life outta this since I have a spare 200GB HDD laying around as well as all the other (still working) internal core components.

Obviously (to everyone but me until now) time to move on & upgrade.

-thanks again.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    you probably will not be able to see the 200gb drive
    the motherboard will probably limit the size to
    30G
    130G

I think there are roughly the numbers from memory

My brother has a Win98Se gateway system, which they can still use OK for surfing and MP3 playing,
    I cleaned up the HDD and removed all temp and none used files
    also went through all the startups and removed most of those - which made a huge difference to the performance

you clean up startups
    run msconfig
    start
    run
    msconfig

look at startup tab

then goto this website
    http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_index.htm
    about 3/4 down you can download a file which will give you all th startups what they do and if required

5. fordprefect

yeah, thanks, again.

I'd already experienced W98SE only seeing 137 of the 200 from a prior install... no biggie.

I'm now see the slowness of this thing in terms of the 66MHz bottleneck of the CPU, and clearly nothing feasibly done about that....

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757862

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice