1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

(Solved) Computer will not shut down

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by jsmalec, Jan 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jsmalec

jsmalec Thread Starter

When I go to start and then to shut down window and click on the shutdown button the computer reboots instead of shutting down. To shut down now I wait until the computer starts to reboot and then I shut it off manually at the box. Can anyone help me with this. Thanks:)

2. fpmm25

fpmm25

What operating system do you have?

3. jwbirdsong

jwbirdsong

Best shutdown Trouble shooter on the Web are hereauhma tshooters-shutdown
    Also Start>Help>Troubleshooting>Windows 98 Trouble shooters
    has an extensive Trouble shooter for Startup/shutdown problems.
    If you find your Troubleshoot is giving blank answers a recent Windows update caused this. The fix : Start>Find>Files and Folders> type "tshoot.inf" (no quotes)>Rt. click and select "install">Reboot

4. jsmalec

jsmalec Thread Starter

Dear Jack , thanks for the tip on the troubleshooting site. The #1 item on the list did the trick and now my computer shuts down properly. Thanks a bunch. ;)

5. jwbirdsong

jwbirdsong

Glad we could be of help. IIRC the 1st item is <b>Start>Run>msconfig>Advanced(tab)>disable fast shut down</b>
    I usally include that in my posts as a preface to the link but I find I've gotten lazy lately :eek:
    Glad you got it how ever it was

6. jm100dm

jm100dm

Jack
    Thanks for the link. I too had problems with shutdown and the first suggestion fixed it.

jm100dm

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!