(Solved) Computer will not shut down

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jsmalec

When I go to start and then to shut down window and click on the shutdown button the computer reboots instead of shutting down. To shut down now I wait until the computer starts to reboot and then I shut it off manually at the box. Can anyone help me with this. Thanks:)

Best shutdown Trouble shooter on the Web are hereauhma tshooters-shutdown
Also Start>Help>Troubleshooting>Windows 98 Trouble shooters
has an extensive Trouble shooter for Startup/shutdown problems.
If you find your Troubleshoot is giving blank answers a recent Windows update caused this. The fix : Start>Find>Files and Folders> type "tshoot.inf" (no quotes)>Rt. click and select "install">Reboot

jsmalec

Dear Jack , thanks for the tip on the troubleshooting site. The #1 item on the list did the trick and now my computer shuts down properly. Thanks a bunch. ;)

Glad we could be of help. IIRC the 1st item is <b>Start>Run>msconfig>Advanced(tab)>disable fast shut down</b>
I usally include that in my posts as a preface to the link but I find I've gotten lazy lately :eek:
Glad you got it how ever it was

Jack
Thanks for the link. I too had problems with shutdown and the first suggestion fixed it.

jm100dm

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online