1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Computer will not start up, fans spin, no post/splash screen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PoTaToGuY, Feb 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PoTaToGuY

PoTaToGuY Thread Starter

I just slapped together a rig from a bunch of other broken ones, salvaging the working parts and putting them together in a new casing.

I plugged it in, and hit the power button, the fans spin up, and a LED on the motherboard would light up, no beeping, and nothing happens on the screen.

Asus P5K-SE
    Core2Quad Q6600
    6GB RAM: 2x 2GB, 2x 1GB
    XFX HD5850
    SeaSonic X Series 650W Modular PSU

Hope someone can help here.
    Thanks!

2. Lucky09

Lucky09

does not numlock light on the keyboard responds? If it does then your PC is booting up fine. It's more of video problem. Make sure the monitor is connected to the added video card and not on the onboard slot. you can also try removing your added video card and use the onboad for testing purposes.

3. RyanHall85

RyanHall85

I agree. Try using a different graphics card. If it's onboard, try using an add-on card. If using an add-on card, try using the onboard chip.

4. PoTaToGuY

PoTaToGuY Thread Starter

I did a bit of tinkering with the RAM, and it turns out 2 of the 4 RAM slots on the motherboard are dead.

Removed the 2 sticks of RAM from the slots and computer powered on without a problem.

SOLVED.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090174

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice