1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Computer won't boot anymore

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Trance7, Sep 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Trance7

Trance7 Thread Starter

So i just moved and had to move my computer. My computer was on as of yesterday afternoon.

When i got to my new place and hooked it all up it now wont boot.

I dont get any response out of the video card and im really hoping thats not what went in it.

My motherboard used to do a system beep 3 times while booting and now it doesnt do anything. and as far as i can tell the whole thing starts to boot, the heat sync fan on my cpu turns on and the gfx fax turns on but i get no response after that.

Any ideas?

2. Trance7

Trance7 Thread Starter

Bump. Anyone have any thoughts?

I'm starting to thing it may be the motherboard but i would really appreciate any advice and/or suggestions.

PS: Fan* not fax

3. Kassus

Kassus

This sounds like it may be a PS problem as well, make sure it is properly grounded and make sure all the boards are properly grounded. Check all the connectors on all the boards to make sure none of them came lose during the move process.

4. Trance7

Trance7 Thread Starter

2 questions in regards to that then,

1)The house i moved to is a very old house, is it possible that the socket is not generating enough power? I wondered this in the beginning but it kinda sounded foolish so i dismissed the thought.

2)How would i go about making sure its all grounded?

5. Trance7

Trance7 Thread Starter

6. Trance7

Trance7 Thread Starter

Bump, Please?

7. Hughv

Hughv

It's not unusual to have a loose connection after a move.
    Remove the cover and check all your connections. Remove and re-seat the video card. Look for bent pins when you re-connect everything.
    Electrical problems are possible, but not likely.

8. flashsnaps

flashsnaps

Unlikely the motherboard has died. If it's not beeping properly then it'll be the ram.
    Open up the case, remove the RAM - give it a rub - then place it back in make sure you clip it in properly.
    Check for any other loose connections.
    It is really common for ram to get dislodged. You will not get any display on most machines, or just a constant beeping.

9. Trance7

Trance7 Thread Starter

Well i did re-seat the video card and check all the connections, so im still a little stumped. but still no one has answered my questions.

Ill try the ram thing and ill post again.

10. Trance7

Trance7 Thread Starter

Good news, i cleaned the ram and reconnected all the cords and i must have missed something on my first try thru.

Thanks for all the advice!

Solved.

11. Hughv

Hughv

You're welcome.
    Please use the thread tools to mark the problem "Solved".

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752893

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice