1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Computer won't boot, BIOS code 1 long 2 short

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by squireoivanhoe, Jan 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. squireoivanhoe

squireoivanhoe Thread Starter

Hello,

Yesterday I attempted to boot my computer, but I only hear the BIOS beep code 1 long 2 short and nothing on the monitor, which is powered on. From my research, I've learned that this indicates a video error has occurred and that BIOS can't initialize the video screen to display any additional information. After following several guides, I have removed and reinstalled all of the hardware components (other than the motherboard, CPU, and fans). The only component that got rid of the BIOS code when removed was when I disconnected the cord that led from the power supply to the motherboard in slot ATX12V. Obviously, the computer won't run, but the BIOS beep code goes away. I suspect either a Power, Motherboard, or CPU problem. Last summer I was having a CPU overheating problem, which went away for a while but, the temperature was starting to creep back up in December. You can read the thread here http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/1127288-computer-crashes-only-while-playing.html

Any advice on how to proceed? It's an older computer and I really don't want to spend a lot of money repairing it since I have two others. Specs will be listed below.

Thanks

My PC is custom built. Here are the specs:
    - Motherboard: ASUS M2NPV-VM
    - RAM: Patriot Memory Dual Channel DDR2 2GB
    - CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
    - Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460
    - Power Supply: Antec Earthwatts EA 500

2. 2twenty2

2twenty2

Could be the video card. Try this - use the onboard video instead of the video card. Do you still get the Beep code?

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Some things to check;
    1 As mentioned above, pull your video card out and connect the monitor to the onboard port on the mb. If it works, great. You know the video card has failed. If you get the same result, then you know the problem is not the video card.

2 You posted that you have two other systems. Swap in the pw supply from one of the working systems for testing. Note you do not have to fully install the test unit. Simply connect atx, aux, and video pw. Hit the ON button and see if it posts. If it does, you know the pw supply has failed.

3 Give the mb a VERY close inspection with a bright light. Look for any capacitors that look like the pics below. If you find any, you have found your problem.

Attached Files:

4. squireoivanhoe

Already tried the video card workaround, it didn't work.

I was about to switch out the power supply when I noticed this on the motherboard: [​IMG]
    4 of the capacitors have a small amount of black stuff on the top (smaller than the pictures you posted). I don't really know much about motherboards, but these capacitors are right next to the onboard monitor port.

Is the motherboard toast? Advice on how to proceed?

Thanks again, you folks are the best.

5. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    If you can confirm the tops of those 4 capacitors are raised then you will almost certainly need a 'new' motherboard.

You could look on Ebay for the exact same motherboard or else for one that's compatible with the existing Cpu, Ram etc.

Or use this as a good excuse to buy another PC !

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You do not even have to "See" any residue on the capacitor. The top of the cap is supposed to be flat. If it is bulging upward, then it is failing.

7. squireoivanhoe

Yes, they are raised. Schucks. Oh well, it was an interesting learning process. Thanks for your help!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1142229

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice