1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Computer won't boot- endless boot loop

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by singme2sleep, Nov 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. singme2sleep

singme2sleep Thread Starter

So, my boyfriend a Toshiba Satellite A105-S4334 that is running XP Media Center 2002. This morning he woke up and it wouldn't finish booting. It POSTs, it sees the hard drive and the operating system. But as soon as the XP logo appears, the computer reboots. we turned off automatic reboot and got the following error:
    STOP: 0x0000007B(0xF78AE524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
    We cannot boot into safe mode, last known good configuration, cds, or USB, and we don't have a floppy drive.
    we have tried an XP installation cd, a media center installation cd, and hirens bootcd, and it wont boot into any of them.
    Last night he was messing around with drivers, because his SD card reader wasnt working and he needed to install a new one. We are assuming he somehow corrupted or accidently removed a necessary driver because that is the only reason we can think of why safe mode won't boot when the hard drive and the operating system are clearly recognized.
    We pretty much need to know if anyone has any options that don't include reinstalling, that is our next step, but would like to avoid it if at all possible.
    Thanks so much:)

2. BLT

BLT

If it's a driver issue, which sounds reasonably likely given the tinkering, then there should be no reason for you not being able to boot from either of the OS installation disks or Hirens Boot CD. What error do you get when you attempt a boot from the CDs?

As it's a laptop is the SD card reader just a USB device, is it or anything else left plugged in?

3. singme2sleep

When we try to boot from the cd, one of two things happens, with hirens boot cd, it starts to load the cd, then just goes back to the boot options screen (safe mode, last known good config, etc)
    when we boot from an installation cd, it starts but then blue screens and tells up that the pci.sys file is missing or broken.
    The sd card reader is built in. we have unplugged everything but the power cord from the laptop and we still cant get it to start. ( by the way we have tested the cds and the usbs on my laptop and they work just fine, my computer booted into them without a problem).

4. BLT

BLT

It's a bit of a long shot but check the BIOS for a SATA setting called AHCI, it could be that with the driver problems you have lost support for this and changing the setting to something else (don't know the exact BIOS but it could be Auto or Native) may help. It's definitely worth a shot and you can easily change the setting back if it doesn't work.

The other question is you say the SD card is built in yet it was being replaced, do you mean the built in module has been swapped or just that there was a plan to change it for an external model? I only ask as if the case has been open it's worth getting back in there and taking the replacement out and double checking all connections.

5. singme2sleep

We weren't replacing the sd card reader, just the driver, it was corrupted so the reader wasn't working. Sorry, i guess i could have worded it a little better.
    I will try the BIOS option and let you know if it worked.

6. singme2sleep

unfortunately, we can not find a setting AHCI in BIOS. Is it something that every computer has, or only certain ones? It is a semi old computer 3-4 years.

7. JustinPS

JustinPS

This is a pretty common problem with XP. Since XP has had 3 major service packs that addressed many issues (including hardware), but most people have the XP SP1 or earlier disc (which is what I'm assuming you have), you'll have to make a "slipstreamed" XP SP2 disc. I ran a quick google search and found many threads talking about your exact problem, and this has solved it for all of them.

Here's the link: http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp2_cd.htm

8. jrbuergel

jrbuergel

First Name:
    Jim
  9. singme2sleep

alright, so we figured out how to fix it. We had to put hiren's on a USB. When we tried to boot from it, it wouldn't work. We tried booting from fdd, and voila, it worked. The fix was as simple as chkdsk c:/r
    whatever was corrupted or missing was repaired and the computer booted up just fine.
    I hope that helps anyone else who may be having a similar problem. Thanks to everyone who helped :)

10. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hmmmmme Moderators seem to have missed this thread that mentions using a Hiren's boot CD. This CD is considered pirated software at this site, we are not allowed to post it in threads.

I have to Close this thread, which apparently is also Solved so am marking it both ways.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/879279

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice