1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Computer won't boot into Windows

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Brash92, Sep 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Brash92

Brash92 Thread Starter

Hi
    I left my computer to have dinner and i came back to find a message telling me a windows image file is corrupt and the computer must reboot. When i left it, there was windows media player running (the music was paused) and MSN messenger with no conversations open.

After the computer rebooted, it came up with a BSOD (not the usual dark blue with lots of writing one) but a pale blue one saying:
    "STOP: c0000211 [Bad image checksum]"
    It said this indicating to the file image gdi32.dll and with some research into the file, decided to run a repair install.

Now when i boot, it loads through the beginning check and through the windows XP Pro loading screen and then says "Restarting Windows Setup". The screen goes black and then two error messages pop up saying:
    "application or DLL C: progra~1\Kasper~1\Kasper2\mzckbd.dll is not a valid windows image file". After i ok the boxes, it then goes to the screen as if it were trying to format windows and tells me to insert the windows XP service pack 2 disk... After i click cancel, it reboots.

After a small amount of research, i've found the file in the two error messages is a Kaspersky security suite file. Also, in the top bar of the error messages, it says "lsass.exe Bad Image" and "Services.exe Bad Image"

If it's any help, i have a dual boot with Mac OS Leopard but i cannot access any of the Windows XP files. All help is appreciated...

2. thebrownone

thebrownone

By any chance have you recently updated to SP3? If so, try this:
    1) Boot from a Windows XP Pro CD and use the repair option (recovery console)
    2) Copy gdi32.dll from C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386\gdi32.dll to C:\Windows\System32\gdi32.dll (Do keep a backup of the old gdi32.dll in C:\Windows\System32 directory)
    3) Reboot

If you have not installed SP3, I always like to start with hardware tests if I see a blue screen. Try running RAM/HD tests to see if failing hardware may have caused the corruption.

Let me know how it goes.

3. Brash92

Brash92 Thread Starter

hi. Thanks for the reply.
    No, i haven't tried updating to sp3 yet.

I'm am writing this at school but when i get home i will run memtest. Are there any bootable harddrive checking programs as i am unable to get into windows.

Will post back with results after. Thanks.

4. Brash92

Brash92 Thread Starter

After i got home, i used to recovery tool on the XP disk to run a chkdsk, fixboot, fixmbr and now the computer boots past the loading windows XP screen and turns black with the cursor in the middle...
    Please help...

At the moment, im trying to copy files to the mac partition so i can just reformat but using macFUSE, its says the partition is in use...

Thanks for the help,
    Brent

5. thebrownone

thebrownone

I would try the Ultimatebootcd for Windows. Go to http://www.ubcd4win.com/ and download the .iso. This will boot you into a virtual OS where you should be able to move your files. At the site http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ you can find an .iso to be able to run your hardware tests.

It sounds like a repair install of Windows may be the answer if your hardware tests pass. Boot off your Windows XP disc, proceed to where you can see currently installed versions of Windows, and hit the "R" key when prompted to run the repair. May take 30-45 min and you may need to re-activate Windows, but this has done wonders for me.

6. Brash92

Brash92 Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip.
    I'm about to go to bed but will try in the morning.

Also, i've already tried multiple repair installs but to no avail. With a bit of research, i've learned that the black screen with the cursor is because the graphical interface cannot load (hence me getting the problem with gdi32.dll). I'm going to download a copy from www.dll-files.com and try to copy it to the directory through the recovery console.

Thanks for all your help and will post back tomorrow.
    Brent.

7. thebrownone

thebrownone

Sounds good. If the .dll site doesn't fix you up there are some system boot utilities on the UBCD4WIN that can be run to repair the boot sector if that's what's broken that I can go into more detail about if need be.

8. Brash92

Brash92 Thread Starter

Ok, heres where i'm up to.
    I managed to allow my mac Leopard partition to access the Windows XP partition so i can :
    1. Back up files
    2. Access system files

From there, i copied the gdi32.dll to the folder (i kept a copy of the old one) and rebooted.
    It now comes up with a BSOD saying "STOP: c0000139 {Entry point not found} Procedure entry point SMapLS_IP_EBP_24 could not be located in dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll"

After looking this up, it all point towards the SP3 update (which i do not have :confused:!!!).
    The only thing besides refomatting is replacing KERNEL32.dll but i don't know what implications this might have.

Thanks for your help so far....
    Brent

9. Brash92

Brash92 Thread Starter

I decided to delete the XP partition and re-install XP.

It went through the whole process without a problem until it reached a plain black screen with a message in the middle saying: "To improve the appearance of visual elements, Windows will automatically adjust your resolution." The only option to choose is ok, yet when i hit a key or try to move the mouse, nothing happens. If i press any of the locks (eg, num lock and caps lock) the light turns on but everything else is no-responsive.

Similarly, the mouses laser is on and responds to movement but the cursor on the screen stays still. I am using a USB keyboard but have also tries a PS2 keyboard but none work... I'm afraid to force shut it down in-case it corrupts it (although i could just re-install it).

Thanks,
    Brent.

10. Brash92

Brash92 Thread Starter

Thanks for all your help.

In the end, i took the easy way out and reformatted.

Problem solved :p

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!