Solved: Computer Won't Boot Up After Power Failure

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

8dalejr.fan

I was on the computer this morning (plugged into a power bar) when all of a sudden the power went out in my neighbourhood. I was just on the desktop at the time I believe. I unplugged everything to prevent anything from surging to be safe, and I went out for the day.

When I got home, the power was back on, and so I plugged the computer back in. However, as I plugged in the computer, it turned on by itself. Normally it does not do this when I plug it in after it was forced to shut down for a blackout. I immediately knew something was up.

When it started to turn on, it immediately went to a blue screen of death.

STOP 0x0000007B (0xF7A38528, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

It won't get past this screen. I've tried Safe Mode, Last Known Good Configuration, Normal Mode and it just keeps going back to this screen.

I also noticed it doesn't make the normal noises when it's booting up. It doesn't make that 'click click' sound when I'm booting up (I believe that's a hard drive sound?).

I do have access to the Windows Recovery Console (I think - it appears as an option - I don't know if it will work) but I don't know what to do.

It sounds like it did something to the hard drive... when I boot up the computer normally it asks me to press F1 (because my CMOS battery is low)... now on that screen it says Serial ATA at the top. I don't know why that is, or if this has anything to do with the low CMOS battery before, but I can't get it to turn on at all at the moment.

I don't understand why the power failure would do this (or what it did)... I've never not been able to boot up after a power failure. And surely there wasn't a surge since it wasn't plugged in when the power came back on.

Did it kill the HD? Anything I can do to at least recover some files?

blues_harp28

Hi I'd replace the Cmos battery asap.
Try.
Boot from Xp Cd...when prompted press [R]
Choose Windows installation [typically by pressing [1]
When prompted for password.
Press Enter.
Type chkdsk /r [note space ]
Window will fix errors..
Type Exit
And press Enter.

The Bios will need to be set to boot from the Cd - if not already set to do so.
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

Stop 0x0000007B errors in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324103

8dalejr.fan

Hi,

Thank you for the quick reply. :)

The only XP CD I have that came with my computer is a "Reinstallation CD: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Including Windows Service Pack 1a". This is all Dell gave me. Is this the proper CD?

If it is not the proper disk, can I use Windows Recovery Console? I installed that recently I believe. Can chkdsk be run from there?

Will following that Installation step wipe out any data?

Thanks.

blues_harp28

Hi you cannot use the Reinstallation CD.

You can use the Recovery Console
But read all info here under.
How to use the Recovery Console command prompt.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654

Do Not press F6 to install a third-party SCSI or RAID driver.

Run chkdsk /r from the recovery console.

8dalejr.fan

Ok, I will try that.

On the "Please select operating system to start" do I just highlight Windows Recovery Console?

Do I need any disks to use it? This part of the instructions seems to me to suggest that I need disks which I don't have:

To run the Recovery Console from the Windows XP startup disks or the Windows XP CD-ROM, follow these steps:
Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.

Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted.
When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console.
When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.
At the command prompt, type the appropriate commands to diagnose and repair your Windows XP installation.

For a list of commands that are available in Recovery Console, type recovery console commands or help at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.

For information about a specific command, type help commandname at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.
To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.
This is the message that accompanies the CMOS low battery warning. The first two lines were never there before. I wonder if the power failure did something to the BIOS:

Intel (R) RAID for Serial ATA - RAID BIOS v3.5.0.2568
Copyright (C) 2003 Intel Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

Alert! System battery voltage is low.
Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility

blues_harp28

Yes highlight Windows Recovery Console - no disk will be needed.

I would replace the Cmos battery first.

8dalejr.fan

Ok.

Is the battery needed for the steps we are going through/will they not work if I don't replace the battery? Just trying to educate myself as we go along. :eek:

Can I replace it myself easily?

8dalejr.fan

Fixed it without having to do check disk or lose any files...

Turns out either the power outage or the CMOS battery coupled with the power outage did something to the BIOS... caused the Serial ATA setting (or RAID or whatever, I can't remember what it was) in the BIOS to be set to "On" when it should be "Off".

Switched the setting and it boots up fine now.

Thanks for the help anyways. :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online