1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Computer Won't Boot Up After Power Failure

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by 8dalejr.fan, Apr 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 8dalejr.fan

8dalejr.fan Thread Starter

I was on the computer this morning (plugged into a power bar) when all of a sudden the power went out in my neighbourhood. I was just on the desktop at the time I believe. I unplugged everything to prevent anything from surging to be safe, and I went out for the day.

When I got home, the power was back on, and so I plugged the computer back in. However, as I plugged in the computer, it turned on by itself. Normally it does not do this when I plug it in after it was forced to shut down for a blackout. I immediately knew something was up.

When it started to turn on, it immediately went to a blue screen of death.

STOP 0x0000007B (0xF7A38528, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

It won't get past this screen. I've tried Safe Mode, Last Known Good Configuration, Normal Mode and it just keeps going back to this screen.

I also noticed it doesn't make the normal noises when it's booting up. It doesn't make that 'click click' sound when I'm booting up (I believe that's a hard drive sound?).

I do have access to the Windows Recovery Console (I think - it appears as an option - I don't know if it will work) but I don't know what to do.

It sounds like it did something to the hard drive... when I boot up the computer normally it asks me to press F1 (because my CMOS battery is low)... now on that screen it says Serial ATA at the top. I don't know why that is, or if this has anything to do with the low CMOS battery before, but I can't get it to turn on at all at the moment.

I don't understand why the power failure would do this (or what it did)... I've never not been able to boot up after a power failure. And surely there wasn't a surge since it wasn't plugged in when the power came back on.

Did it kill the HD? Anything I can do to at least recover some files?

2. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Hi I'd replace the Cmos battery asap.
    Try.
    Boot from Xp Cd...when prompted press [R]
    Choose Windows installation [typically by pressing [1]
    When prompted for password.
    Press Enter.
    Type chkdsk /r [note space ]
    Window will fix errors..
    Type Exit
    And press Enter.

The Bios will need to be set to boot from the Cd - if not already set to do so.
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

Stop 0x0000007B errors in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324103

3. 8dalejr.fan

Hi,

Thank you for the quick reply. :)

The only XP CD I have that came with my computer is a "Reinstallation CD: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Including Windows Service Pack 1a". This is all Dell gave me. Is this the proper CD?

If it is not the proper disk, can I use Windows Recovery Console? I installed that recently I believe. Can chkdsk be run from there?

Will following that Installation step wipe out any data?

Thanks.

4. blues_harp28

Hi you cannot use the Reinstallation CD.

You can use the Recovery Console
    But read all info here under.
    How to use the Recovery Console command prompt.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654

Do Not press F6 to install a third-party SCSI or RAID driver.

Run chkdsk /r from the recovery console.

5. 8dalejr.fan

Ok, I will try that.

On the "Please select operating system to start" do I just highlight Windows Recovery Console?

Do I need any disks to use it? This part of the instructions seems to me to suggest that I need disks which I don't have:

This is the message that accompanies the CMOS low battery warning. The first two lines were never there before. I wonder if the power failure did something to the BIOS:

6. blues_harp28

Yes highlight Windows Recovery Console - no disk will be needed.

I would replace the Cmos battery first.

7. 8dalejr.fan

Ok.

Is the battery needed for the steps we are going through/will they not work if I don't replace the battery? Just trying to educate myself as we go along. :eek:

Can I replace it myself easily?

8. blues_harp28

Not needed maybe but for me, I would make sure that all, as far as possible was a Ok first.
    How to change cmos battery.
    http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000239.htm

9. 8dalejr.fan

Fixed it without having to do check disk or lose any files...

Turns out either the power outage or the CMOS battery coupled with the power outage did something to the BIOS... caused the Serial ATA setting (or RAID or whatever, I can't remember what it was) in the BIOS to be set to "On" when it should be "Off".

Switched the setting and it boots up fine now.

Thanks for the help anyways. :)

10. blues_harp28

Thanks for the update (y) :)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!