1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Computer wont boot up

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Beth Ann, Feb 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Beth Ann

Beth Ann Thread Starter

I have an older compaq pressario PC that I gave to my daughter. For no reason at all it just wont boot up now. This happened once before and I turned it off and unplugged it for a couple of days because I just didnt have the time. Now that I have her room re-done, we would like to put it back in there but its still doing the same thing-nothing. Just a blue screen. I checked the monitor with my new Dell and it works fine. I didnt have a bootup floppy for it but I did try my Norton rescue disc for the Dell-still nothing. I even took the top off the tower and just dusted it out etc-just wont boot. Any ideas? Thanks-Be blessed.

2. Del

Del

What Operating System is on the old Compaq and what OS is on your new Dell?

3. Beth Ann

Beth Ann Thread Starter

I hope I am doing this right Del and am replying in the right place-lol. The operating system for the old PC is windows 95. The new Dell is ME. Totally different OS but its all I had so I gave it a shot. Was thas stupid-lol?? Thanks for helping me :confused:

4. Del

Del

Thought maybe the start up disk from the new one might start the old one, I think 98 would boot off a ME start up disk, but not sure about ME to 95. You could try it or use the new one to go to http://freepctech.com/pc/002/files010.shtml
    You can download a win 95 startup disk and put it on floppy then try it on your win 95 computer..

5. Beth Ann

Beth Ann Thread Starter

Downloaded the windows 95 start up disc and copied to a floppy but still got nothing but a grey screen. :confused:

6. Del

Del

Did you save it to a folder, run the executable to open the file?

Each Boot disk is a self extracting Image file. Just place a floppy disk in your 'A' drive and execute the file. It will format the floppy disk(s) and then create your boot disk(s).

7. Beth Ann

Beth Ann Thread Starter

I am so confused-this is what I did-I downloaded the file and then I put in a floppy and dragged the download onto the floppy-which it copied-was that wrong? Then I took the floppy to the old PC inserted it and started the computer but nothing happened but the same old greyish screen with the pc just kind of "trying" to be on-I feel so stupid..........

8. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy there Beth Ann...

Try double clicking on the downloaded file, as Del said it will create a boot floppy...

9. lostoreador

lostoreador

Dont drag the file to the floppy. using explorer, explore the floppy disk. Look at the files on the disk. double click the self extracting file. It will put some other files onto a floppy disk. you then use that floppy to start the other computer.

10. Del

Del

You have to run the file from your Hard Drive it will tell you to put in a floppy and copy what it needs to there, then bring the floppy to your win 95 computer..
    Sorry if I didn't explain well enought..
    :confused:

11. Beth Ann

Beth Ann Thread Starter

Did everything ya'll told me to do but no go-the little light over the floppy dvive doesnt come on either. I can hear it trying to do something but then it stops-nothing I do seems to work to get it up and running......:( Thanks for all you help though.....

12. bandit429

bandit429

Maybe the disk is write protected, move the small plastic write-protect tab away from the edge of the disk. Look at the picture below

Attached Files:

13. Beth Ann

Beth Ann Thread Starter

Nope-thats not it- I do know about that. Is it possible that the hard drive is just shot? Like dead? Like forget it pal-I have had it?? Its no more then 6-7 years old....:(

14. bandit429

bandit429

Even if the hard drive was dead you would still get to the A:\> with the floppy alone. Even without a hard drive,,your not booting with the floppy drive first or the floppy is no good. Did you go into the bios and change the settings to boot the floppy drive first??

15. Beth Ann

Beth Ann Thread Starter

With all do respect I must say I dont have a CLUE what going into the bios means?? That must be in the tower cause there's no where else to go when you can't boot up. (Sounds like a movie title-lol) I thought I was pretty savy with a PC but you have me totally in the dark on this one......:cool:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119491

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice