1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Computer won't boot with 2nd SATA HDD installed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tecnotec, Feb 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tecnotec

Tecnotec Thread Starter

Ok here is the problem. I recently changed my system by removing my 40 gig Maxtor Ide HDD and replaceing it for a seagate 320 gig Sata HDD. I used Acronis Migrate Easy to clone my 40, which contained my Win Xp pro, on to my 320. I also had a 200gig Maxtor Sata HDD installed into the system that held all my games and storage files which I removed before cloneing my 40gig. After cloneing I removed the old 40 ide and the system fired up perfectly running on the new 320 Sata drive. I then reinstalled my 200 Sata drive useing the other Sata hook up. System would not boot. I checked bios and no HDD found. I remove the cable from the 200 and system will boot fine again. I have tryed changeing some settings in Bios but nothing seems work. Why can't I hook 2 SATA drives up at the same time? Even before I ghosted the 40 on to the 320 neither sata drive showed up when both installed.
    My other specs are as follows:
    Asus P4P800 deluxe
    P4 3.4ghz
    2024mb pc3200(4x512)
    X800XT 256mb
    DVD drive
    DL Pioneer Burner

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

This is just a guess however did you ever use the drive maker's install disk to install the 200gig drive when you put that in? If so, you may have a drive overlay installed.

Other than that, I assume you have checked that each sata port is enabled and set to non-raid ie standard ide.

Have you checked asus's site for any bios update that addresses this issue?

3. Tecnotec

Tecnotec Thread Starter

I just plugged in the 200 and it was reconized. SAme as the 320. Problem is they won't work if both are plugged in. I didn't have to use any drivers or install disk.
    I have the latest Bios from Asus.
    Not sure how I enable/diable each SATA port. Didn't see any settings to do this in Bios. The one setting that you can switch between Sata, P-ata, & Sata/P-ata was always set as Sata even when I was useing 2 ide HDD's. Should I go into hardware manager and disable Raid controllers maybe, or is ther something else I should do?

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It is not a windows problem if your system will not post with both drives installed. Have you tried other sata connectors on the board [assuming you have more than two]

Once you get the system to post and both drives ID in the bios, then you can proceed.

I just checked asus's site and you do understand you have two different sata controllers correct. Your board has both a standard intel controller AND a promise controller. Are you one or the other or both?

5. Tecnotec

Tecnotec Thread Starter

Intel (R)82801EB Ultra ATA storage controller is the only one I see in device manager. I only have the 2 SATA connectors and it doesn't matter which one I use when only 1 drive is hooked up. But as soon as I hook up both at the same time then nothing.

6. Tecnotec

Tecnotec Thread Starter

If I download drivers from seagate site would this help? Strange that when 1 drive is hooked up every thing is fine and the HDD is detected in bios and Windows, but as soon as I plug in the second HDD neither is detected. Could I have my system configured for Raid and since both hdd's are diferent with different things on them that is the problem? If so how do I switch from Raid? Also could it be a jumper on the back of the new HHD? I forgot to mention that the Seagate is a Sata2. Could this be causeing my problem?

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

No. The only driver would be downloaded from whoever made your board ie asus.
    Set the jumper on the back of seagate drive to sata1 speed and see if that helps. Your sata controller should be set to standard ide not raid.

FWIW I have seen where a controller mode was changed and the system would not boot. This is only with onboard controllers NOT with a real raid card or controller. Before changing any settings in the bios, I would have a backup of any important data.

8. Tecnotec

Tecnotec Thread Starter

Ok changed the jumper on the Seagate and same as before. The Bios setting that says set as Raid is marked as NO. Changed settings in Bios to campatability mode and then my Third and fourth Ide master disappear. When everything is set the way it should in bios It says I have a Primary Master/Slave, Secondary Master/Slave, Third Ide Master, & Fourth Idea Master. The Primary is home to my Dvd Drive and DL burner, Secondaryis empty(use to house my 40gig Maxtor),Third Ide Master is empty, and the Fourth Shows my new drive or my old sata depending upon which one is hooked up. When both are hooked up Fourth is empty as well. I Checked and My bios version is 1019 and there is a version 1021.07 available. I have to go to work so maybe when I get home I will try d/l this and flash and see if this cures the problem. If anyone else has any ideas other than the bios flash please let me know as I think the new bios does not support the auto flash program and Ive never flashed a bios without useing it

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Check the txt file in the bios download; see if it addresses your problem. If it does not, I would not flash the bios.

10. Tecnotec

Tecnotec Thread Starter

just got home will try flashing in the morning. Have to go in 4hrs early so may not get a chance till monday.

11. Tecnotec

Tecnotec Thread Starter

Well I figured it out. And boy do I feel stupid:eek: When I was checking Device Manager I noticed that there was a big yellow ? mark by Raid Controller in other devices, so I clicked on it and noticed that it was enabled even though I had never had a Raid set up. I disabled it and everything seems to be ok now after a reboot. Both drives detected in Windows (didn't check bios) and can access both discs.(y) :) Thanks everyone for the help.

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Good work. BTW everybody does dumb things on occasion.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544605

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice