1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Computer wont come on

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by OneLuv, Jan 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. OneLuv

OneLuv Thread Starter

Yesterday my computer went off without notice. For a couple of minutes i couldn't turn it on. It came back on, i cleaned out the dust, reseated the ram sticks, made sure my cooling fan and heatsink fan were running.

Fastforward woke up to the amber light flashing, fans running no computer. Tried to push the button to turn it off, nothing. unplugged it from the back for a while. When i plugged it back up, the amber light is still flashing and the fans are running? How can that be/

Wondering: I chatted with tech support about mem stick. Specs for computer say pc2100 when i was checking the stick i purchased 3 yrs ago to the one originally in the computer they are different. The manufacturer put in a pc2700 512mb stick. I asked if they were incompatible...but of course not under warranty...never got the answer. Have been over on the software side discussing why my CPU keeps maxin out...and got some resolution...now this.

Why the amber light as if its in a perpetual state of standby? Why when I plug it up the fans start running but the computer won't come on. Could it be the harddrive/or OS?

Please help me.

Thanks in advance.

2. bonk

bonk Banned

Howdy,

I would be thinking Power Supply could be the culprit.

3. 1069

Hi,

If your system will not boot do the following:

The precautions:
    1) Always wear an anti-static strap when working inside a computer, ensure it is connected to an unpainted metallic part of the computer. Alternatively touch the metal case before you touch internal components to discharge your body of static after you have switched it off at the wall.

2) Ensure that the computer is turned off and disconnected from the power point.

3) Ensure that the motherboard is correctly installed with sufficient mounts and that no part is shorting to the case or any other metallic parts.

The Technical Bit:

1) Remove all cards ( video card, sound card , RAM etc ) from the motherboard except the power connection and internal speaker. This includes IDE cables etc.

2) Turn the computer on and listen for beeps. (If none the power supply or motherboard has failed, try an new powersupply)

3) Turn the computer off and disconnect it from the power, then plug in the RAM (one stick at a time). Ensure it is seated correctly. Turn on and listen for beeps.

4) Repeat adding one card at a time, ensuring all are seated correctly.

Note the beep sequence at each stage.

A properly working computer should beep once while booting with all cards etc connected, and the lights on the keyboard should flash while booting.

IDE devices ( CDROM, Floppy, HDD ) should be connected by a correctly aligned cable, pin 1 to the red stripe at all points.

4. johnpost

johnpost

if you are speaking of an amber light on the monitor that is because
    it is not getting a video signal from the computer

follow 1069's instructions in message 3

5. OneLuv

OneLuv Thread Starter

Disconnected all cables, plugged in power cord..no beep fans start going immediately. In my moment of frustration. I destroyed the clips that hold in one of my memory sticks.

6. 1069

I asume that you took out all cards too?

Your fans can still work BUT if you get no beeps then you must look to the power supply unit and / or the mother board.

PSU is a cheaper option to try - unless you can take one from another system?

RAM may still work if you press it home - but it will always be suspect without the retaining clamp.

7. OneLuv

OneLuv Thread Starter

Just found out that the motherboard and cpu are both outdated chipset. Dont know if that really matters. i could buy both for $320(still cheaper than a new box) but there is no upgrade for this model. techsupports valuable advice was to get a new computer.

8. OneLuv

OneLuv Thread Starter

If the fact that it's an outdated chipset, then these are the specs:
    The Chipset of the motherboard is Intel 82845GL / 82801DB / 82802AB
    The CPU Socket/Slot Type is mPGA 478.
    I can upgrade the processor from the one in my signature to a Pentium 4 2.8GHz. But I have to replace the motherboard with the same one listed above.

Let me side step and ask a question. The motherboard and CPU ARE the computer. If they are done..... I could buy what i want provided it fits in the case, yes? Or if need be buy another case?

9. bonk

bonk Banned

Well in fact the Motherboard and CPU are very important but have you got room in the old case ...remember ventilation is very important....Power-supply is also the heart of the PC.

10. brite750

brite750

what is the make and model of pc, if it is a branded type, Dell, Gateway, HP, etc. you will have to buy a XP Home or similar disk, your restore disks wont work

11. OneLuv

OneLuv Thread Starter

oh never considered that for a moment. I thought that my data resting on my hard disks would just be that. Let me ask you, is the data on the main drive s.o.l? I have the XP Pro Sp2 disk. What about the data on my slave drive? I was just using that for storage.(i'm thinking i'm glad i saved to disk what i wanted..ummmm hummm.) BTW it was an Emachines T2385. It came with a DVD-ROM and a cd-rw which I replaced with a dual layer DVD burner. So outside of a motherboard, cpu, possible new case (although this one is the standard tower size) and the power supply, I'm good to go? I tried Newegg, and it almost seems better to buy a new one. I didn't want to untill I had the money to buy what I wanted...not out of necessity. Thanks again for your help.

12. johnpost

johnpost

data on both hard drives can be in fine shape, motherboard
    failure doesn't harm that (yes there can be events for failure
    that can) if it just stops turning on

when getting a new motherboard also RAM is an issue.
    often your old sticks won't fit the new motherboard.
    you might shop for a motherboard to fit your old
    memory but often that means getting a less quality
    motherboard than you would want.

video card is also an issue. many new motherboards
    have video on the motherboard. there can be
    technical compromises in using that for high
    end use, home users are often fine. thing is your
    old video card may not fit new motherboard.
    again shopping for a new motherboard based
    on reusing an old video card is often a
    bad procedure. if you can't afford a new video
    card then get new motherboard with onboard
    video, you can always switch that off later
    when you buy a new video card.

13. OneLuv

OneLuv Thread Starter

I had to retire that computer for a little while. Im determined to fix it, if only to give it to someone who is in need and cannot afford it.

Thanks again for your help and assistance.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538005

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice