1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Computer won't load. Please help.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by cm8765, May 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cm8765

cm8765 Thread Starter

I recently downloaded startup manager and fiddled around with the startup processes, now i can't go beyond the blue startup screen - the one thats just before loading the desktop background. It displays messages such as 'Playing Logon Sound' etc. It appears to be logging on, then it flicks to the desktop background for about 0.2 secs, then displays the logoff screen, then it appears to be logging on, all without changing screens except for the 0.2 secs.

I have tried repairing Windows using the CD but to no avail.

I am running XP Service Pack 2.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

3. cm8765

cm8765 Thread Starter

Unfortunately not. If I start it in safe mode, the same thing happens, but with slight variations on appearance.

4. salimhus

salimhus Guest

I think you might have messed up the registry. So you need a system restore !
    If you can't do it on your XP, go to a friend and put your disk as slave and do the restore
    manually from system volume information - which usually contains all your restore points by date. You can also do this from a Linux, if you know linux (liveCD Knoppix), but be very careful if you don't know linux. Come back if you need more info...

5. promom

promom

1. Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.
      Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted to do so.
    2. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
    3. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
    4. When you are prompted to do so, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.
    5. At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following lines, pressing ENTER after you type each line: md tmp
      copy c:\windows\system32\config\system c:\windows\tmp\system.bak
      copy c:\windows\system32\config\software c:\windows\tmp\software.bak
      copy c:\windows\system32\config\sam c:\windows\tmp\sam.bak
      copy c:\windows\system32\config\security c:\windows\tmp\security.bak
      copy c:\windows\system32\config\default c:\windows\tmp\default.bak

delete c:\windows\system32\config\system
      delete c:\windows\system32\config\software
      delete c:\windows\system32\config\sam
      delete c:\windows\system32\config\security
      delete c:\windows\system32\config\default

copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system
      copy c:\windows\repair\software c:\windows\system32\config\software
      copy c:\windows\repair\sam c:\windows\system32\config\sam
      copy c:\windows\repair\security c:\windows\system32\config\security
      copy c:\windows\repair\default c:\windows\system32\config\default
    6. Type exit to quit Recovery Console. Your computer will restart.

crossloop.com/ramtech

6. markraymond

markraymond

7. cm8765

cm8765 Thread Starter

Thanks everyone you've been really good.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/827835