1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Computer wont POST after changing settings in BIOS

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by muckijeste, Jun 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. muckijeste

muckijeste Thread Starter

Hi all;

So I have an old ABIT KT7E mobo in an old computer that had various hardware errors, and when I finally fixed everything(Changed the CPU, the hsf, reseated the RAM properly, reseted the BIOS), it decided to successfully start up. However, every time I start it up, I get the annoying "Press F1 to continue" message which can be fixed in BIOS just by setting everything to default; however whatever setting in BIOS I try to set, the computer wont POST after saving the settings and restarting. The settings I've tried are: Change the CPU clock, set boot order, set optimized defaults, set fail-safe defaults. Even if I go to setup, and set nothing up, after saving the "settings"(lol), it wont POST up. Not even a singe beep code. It's really annoying because I can't boot from disk and I also can't put the proper CPU clock to skip the annoying "Press F1" message. The thing that is the most annoying is that every time I save the BIOS setup settings, I have to reseat the CMOS battery and clear the CMOS in order to start the computer up. Does anyone have a clue why is this happening? Thanks.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    What CPU are you using? Is it supported by the motherboard?

3. muckijeste

AMD Athlon XP 1700+;

all Athlons and Durons are supported by the mobo.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    No, not all, only some are supported and you must have a BIOS update that supports those. The motherboard originally only supported Duron and Athlon, not Athlon XP's processors when it first came out. With BIOS updates it might be able to support some Athlon XP processors but considering it's chispet and FSB support it definitely did not support all of them.

5. muckijeste

hm, i might be wrong then. However, a strange thing is that the computer works completely normal, and shows the correct processor clock in windows. It only fails when changing the settings in the bios setup.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Do you have another processor that's older that you could try?

Unfortunately not only is your system ancient the company is no longer in business so finding BIOS updates and CPU support lists is not going to easy.

FYI, the chipset only supports processors with a 200 and 266Mhz FSB, no 333 or 400Mhz FSB processors. Also the voltages vary from model to model as well so the board and BIOS need to support that as well.

7. muckijeste

unfortunately, no. Well, never mind, thanks for your info. I'll just stick to pressing f1 then. Thanks again

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    FYI you could have stability issues or risk damage by doing so.

9. muckijeste

well the office is gonna get ten new computers in a week or so, so that shouldn't be a problem. There are 9 more computers there other than this old guy so one less pc ain't nothing. :)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1101665

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice