1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Computer won't read memory card after formatting in camera

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by Kate5517, Nov 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kate5517

Kate5517 Thread Starter

Hi,

Just got a Canon Rebel XSi. I took a few pictures, took the memory card (I have a Transcend SDHC Class 6 8GB) out and was able to transfer them fine to my computer. When I put the memory card back in the camera I formatted the card (the manual recommend that this be done). Since I have done this, I have taken more pictures and my computer won't read the memory card at all.

Normally when I put in the card something pops up asking what I want to do. Nothing happens now and I can't find it anywhere.

I also tried putting the memory card in my boyfriend's computer and it didn't work either. We tried other memory cards and they worked fine.

What can I do to fix this problem?

Thanks!!

2. wannahelp

wannahelp

Check to see if the card reader you have is compliant with the SDHC format. The new cards are of a 32 bit format and older card readers read 16 bit.

3. Kate5517

Kate5517 Thread Starter

...How do I check for that? :confused: lol

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Unless your PC is VERY new it will not handle more than 1 GB cards (some do 2 GB).

You need a USB reader (for SD cards they are often packaged with the card, I have just ordered one for $3) as my PC will not recognise my Class 6, 4 GB SDHC.

5. Kate5517

Kate5517 Thread Starter

Thanks guys! Went out and got a usb reader tonight and everything works fine. =)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/772016

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice