1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Computer won't see Scanner...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by atryeu, Jul 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. atryeu

atryeu Banned Thread Starter

This problem has been going on for over the last year now and it just hasn't been at the top of my list to fix.

After my system crashed pretty bad a little over a year ago, I couldn't get my scanner setup again for some reason. At that time, I was running Win ME, and hadn't had problems with the scanner before that crash. I am now running XP Home and I'm still stuck with the exact same problem.

The computer just does not want to see a scanner for some reason. I install the software first, like the instructions say, and then I am told to hook up the USB cable to the computer. It is supposed to detect it after it gets plugged in, but it doesn't, so I reboot and it still will not detect the scanner. I have tried to manually add it in but there is no scanner listed under the HP manufacturer. The entire list of items for all manufacturers actually contains nothing but Digital Cameras. The only scanner listed is under "Xerox".

When I was running ME and tried to setup the scanner again, the scanner would turn on when I hit the Scan button (there is no power button on this scanner), but the computer would not see it. It doesn't even want to turn on now though. I have already checked all connections. I have unplugged the entire thing and plugged it back in using another outlet and USB port. I'm not really sure how I can get the computer to see there is a scanner hooked up and get it fully running again.

It's an HP ScanJet 5200C scanner that hooks into the computer with a USB cable. It worked fine since it was bought up until the computer crashed last summer, like I said....

Any ideas how to get it up and running again?

2. Tapeuup

Tapeuup

goto your device manager and see if it's listed.

3. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Here is the HP fix for your exact problem

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...docname=bps05618&product=61254&dlc=en&lang=en

"It is believed the problem is caused when the Non-Volatile RAM (NVRAM) in the scanner becomes corrupted. This prevents the scanner from enumerating properly on the USB bus. The 6200c and 6300c scanners will continue to work correctly using the SCSI connection and the 5200c scanners will continue to work correctly using the parallel interface."

The above explanation fits your scenario also

A quick look on Google also confirms that the scanner is often a problem on XP, so if the above does not work you may be looking at a new scanner.

4. atryeu

I have checked the Device Manager already earlier. I also checked it back when I was running Win ME and it was not listed on either OS.

I followed a few of the instructions on that HP page, but nothing seems to have worked yet. It's not listed under the "Unknown" devices.

I removed the USB cable from the computer and put it back into another slot. A small message pops up near the taskbar saying New Hardware was found but it had problems installing. It did that earlier as well when I messed around with it.

5. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Based on looking on Google at many others with similar problems, the last line on my previous post may unfortunately apply.

6. atryeu

It seems like it :( I guess it'll be sometime before I get a working scanner I guess. We just spent $500 over this last week to fix and upgrade the hardware a bit and we ended up having to buy a new version of Win XP as well :(

Thank you for the help! I appreciate it!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/482158

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice