1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Computer won't start. blue screen o' death

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gairon, Feb 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Gairon

Gairon Thread Starter

Recently, my computer started turning into permafrost. If it plays for over a few hours, it makes a clicking sound and everything stops. I couldn't use it again until it I waited a long while.

But this last time, I did wait awhile, started it up, and it just froze there.

Well, rash as I am, I rushed in to see if there was a problem. I immediately attacked the memory, believing that a similar problem had happened before because of the memory.

Well, now it won't even start right. It shows the Compaq screen (its an old Presario), gives me my operating system choice (has five choices - Windows XP Professional, Windows XP Professional, Windows XP Professional(works), Microsoft Windows, and Windows Professional XP Setup- because of a while back when I was attempting to install XP on a hard drive and move it to a different computer- no idea how to clear this list), and starts the Windows loading screen (with the three dots that move across an empty bar).
    Upon the third time the dots cross the bar, they freeze just before they leave the bar, the screen goes black, and a big blue screen appears with a bunch of words on it.

The main thing I read is that it says Windows has reached a Stop error at:

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

and that it is because I have installed software or hardware incorrectly. I've checked the memory sticks, and they are in there rather firmly. I've moved the sticks through the slots over and over again, trying with only one or two, or all three, constantly switching between configurations and - nothing. Blue screen o' death back from '98 coming to haunt me once again.
    I've tried with two different video cards, both work fine, still with the blue screen.
    I cleaned the memory slots and sticks, still with the blue screen.
    ...WTF?

2. bonk

bonk Banned

How old is your Hard drive Gairon?

And you have another post that I have answered...one post per topic please

3. Gairon

Gairon Thread Starter

My hard drive came with my computer, so about 6 years.
    However, it had been working fine, so why would it just quit after so long?

--sorry

4. bonk

bonk Banned

6 years is a good run for a hard drive.........I'm not saying it is the Hard drive

Have you been getting ticking sounds from the hard drive lately?

5. Gairon

Gairon Thread Starter

Not sure if it is from the hard drive, although before it froze (it only did the freezing part a couple of times before I went in), something in the computer made the clicking sound.

6. bigbear

bigbear

It could be a hard drive problem, go to the makers website and download their diagnostic software to test the drive.
    Not quite sure whats going on with the multiple OS's, there could be problem right there.
    If there is nothing worth saving on the drive run a low level format and reinstall windows

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

If it works after a rest, sounds more like power supply to me, but next choice would be hard drive.

8. Gairon

Gairon Thread Starter

Solved:
    It was my hard drive. -_-'
    All I need to do was put a new one in and reinstall Windows. Sort of upsetting, but alls well that ends well.
    Thanks for pointing out the problem. :)

9. bonk

bonk Banned

Look on the good side Gairon....you've got another 6yrs (Maybe)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544299

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice