1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Computer won't start normally, shuts off after about 30 seconds each time

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dismund, Aug 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dismund

Dismund Thread Starter

Since about March I decided I wanted a new computer. I went ahead and ordered this pre-built computer from Newegg and it worked for a few months but it was pretty slow when it came to new games. I wanted something that I could play new games on and do decently well with. So I decided I would over time replace all the parts.

I just got done doing an entire overhaul on my system. I bought everything brand new including a new case. The only thing I didn't replace was the hard drive.

Here are my current specs:

AMD A8-3850 Llano 2.9GHz
    SAPPHIRE 100312-3SR Radeon HD 6950
    CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB
    GIGABYTE GA-A75-UD4H FM1 AMD A75
    Windows 7 Home Premium
    Antec HCG-750 750W ATX12V Power Supply
    1TB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 7200RPM HDD

I am pretty new to building and tinkering with computers. So this has been a learning experience for me. I installed everything and my computer seemed to start up fine. I can get to the windows startup screens and select to start it up normally or go into startup repair. But then the computer will just shut off.

My power supply seems to be working alright its spinning on the inside fine I'm getting the LED at the front. I don't think it's a problem with the power supply.

Every time I get the option to start windows normally and I hit it it will get to the beginning of it and I'll get a brief blue screen and the computer will shut off. Whenever I try to use the startup repair it will begin repairing and then it will shut off. Other times I can't even get into the menu before the computer shuts off.

I didn't wipe the hard drive before I put it in. I've read that if you don't do that and get a new motherboard sometimes it can cause problems? I'm wondering if I get a new hard drive will it fix this. This is something I didn't know about beforehand. My first time building a computer and all. My friends think it might be a memory problem, but I just purchased this memory a few weeks ago and I didn't have any issues with it in the previous setup.

This is also a new graphics card, I've never used it before just plugged it in when I got my new case and motherboard and everything hooked up. Same with the processor. But I THINK those are all working correctly. I am able to plug in my monitor to my graphics card with HDMI and it seems to be working alright.

I would really appreciate some insight I am new to building computers and am not sure what is causing this.

2. kris141087

kris141087

Hi Dismund have you installed a new copy of windows or are you trying to run the old windows on a new motherboard if so you might be out of luck. Some copies of windows that come pre-installed don't allow you to change the motherboard (even if you bought the windows separately it is generally easier and better to do a clean install than migrate your OS)

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You don't need a new hard drive, however if you moved the hard drive with a previous installation of Windows from another motherboard to this one then it will not likely boot correctly in which case you need to format and re-install Windows; its just a software problem not a physical hard drive problem.

4. Dismund

Dismund Thread Starter

How do I do this if the computer won't stay on for more than a few seconds? Do I do this in the f8 menu at startup? I really don't have hardly any experience with this kind of thing. Sorry if my question seems kind of dumb.

5. Dismund

Dismund Thread Starter

I have an install disc that I've used before, I got it when I got my computer from Newegg. I did have to reinstall it once on my old computer with the old motherboard but I didn't have any problems installing it. I just put in the disc and entered my key and it installed fine. Would I have to get a new copy of windows or something if I changed motherboards? Or can I just use the same disc?

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Ok, I re-read your posts. At this point the O/S is not the issue. You need to verify that you have the heatsink for the CPU installed correctly, check it physically, then enter the BIOS when you successfully turn on the PC and see what the temps are.

You can also try using the old PSU and see it works any different.

7. Dismund

Dismund Thread Starter

Pretty sure I found the problem. I didn't take the little plastic cover off the bottom of the heatsink so I took that off and now the computer hasn't shut off on me yet. Pretty derp on my part I just overlooked it I guess. But now it seems to be running fine and it's not shutting off or anything.

I am wondering though, I started it up and it said windows was unable to start. So right now I'm doing a Startup Repair. Do I need to reinstall windows to get it to work? Or what should I do. I have reinstalled windows on this hard drive before.

Edit: That piece of plastic was what was causing my computer not to start up. I reinstalled windows and got the computer running perfectly. Solved.

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Glad you got it figured out (y)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1011841

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice