Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: computer wont start, stuck at black screen before loading.

5K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  Macboatmaster 
#1 ·
when i start my computer the first screen load fine then a black screen appear and its getting stuck there, there a small line in the corner but its wont go past that, what the problem?

Tested it on another computer but same problem.

i tryed to repair the HardDrive but its still didnt change a thing.

#2 ·
Tested it on another computer but same problem.
Tested what please?

i tryed to repair the HardDrive but its still didnt change a thing.
How please.

#3 ·
sorry lol, i didnt give much detail, but ok here the exact thing i did.

i am trying to get files from a HD, first its did that black screen before loading on the first computer, then i switched it to another computer, which did the same thing, then i went in the repair console and did a
CHKDSK /r command, which found and repaired 1 or more errors, then i restarted and the black screen is still there.

i wonder if the Harddrive is dead and cant be repaired.

#5 ·
I helped you on a previous thread see if it will boot with puppy and see the HDD

then i switched it to another computer, which did the same thing, then i went in the repair console and did a
That is not really a valid test as to be assured of results it would have to be the same motherboard, chipsets etc.

#7 ·
Sorry I do not understand Puppy is NOT specific to Hard Drives.

#9 ·
No problem ,just pleased to have helped slightly.
Sorry, took your comment as meaning, that you thought that Puppy was restricted to the hard drive we discussed on the first thread.
If Puppy recovered the files, then the hard drive itself is very likely good.
Have you tried F8 after first screen and then Safe Mode, VGA Mode and Last Known Good.
Last Known Good is unlikely to work now, but it is worth a try.
If you have the XP CD try a repair installation of XP if the above does not work.

#11 ·
Have you tried VGA mode.
If there is a graphics problem, then VGA mode MAY work.
If not you follow the instructions here.
It may be that the repair option will not work, but it is worth a try.
When completed loading files, you will be presented with the following "Windows Setup" screen, and your first option. Select "To set up Windows XP now, press ENTER". DO NOT select Recovery Console.

When presented with the screen below. press the F8 key to continue.

Next, Windows Setup will find existing Windows XP installations. You will be asked to repair an existing XP installation, or install a fresh copy of Windows XP.

If no installations are found, then you will not be given the option to repair. This may happen if the data or partition on your drive is too corrupted.

Note: If you install a fresh copy, all data on that partition will be lost!

Your almost finished! Windows XP will appear to be installing itself for the first time, but it will retain all of your data and settings. Just follow the prompts, and have your CD-KEY ready if needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.