Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: computer wont start up / black screen

1K views 11 replies 2 participants last post by  Macboatmaster 
#1 ·
HP Pavilion m7480n desktop with windows xp wont start after its failed power supply is changed. When I switch on the computer at first every thing goes normal until the starting logo of windows xp. It goes until the xp logo finishing all the boot start steps. When the xp logo comes we all know there is a scrolling bar under the logo, it takes it's time to scroll that bar, but finally instead of opening the windows it goes to a black screen and the green light of the monitor goes amber and flashing. Please send me your experience on this matter.
Thanks

Gearge

#2 ·
1. Welcome to Tech Support Guy
2. Will it boot in Safe Mode - F8 key on first post screen

#3 ·
I have been away from my desk for the past three days and that is why I failed to respond you on time, sorry about that. I appreciate your fast reply. I tried to boot it in safe mode and restored it to an earlier time and didn't work. Then I tried system recovery - F-10 and its working now good, but I have one issue, it doesn't recognize the net work controller. it recognizes all the network adapters including the wireless adapter, but not the net work controller, is there a separate driver for the net work controller or do I have to download all the drivers for the net work adapter and the net work controller to fix this problem?

#4 ·
If you used F10 for system recovery, you may well now not have SP3 and all updates to XP, depending on what the state was of the recovery partition.
It will have put it back to how it was when that recovery partition was installed - has it not

You now need to go to the HP site, and download the drivers for the chipset, Lan, wireless and whatever else is not apparently working.
If you cannot get an internet connection you will have to download to a flash pen on another computer and install on this
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=1843653#N412

then when you have the connection you will need to go windows updates as you will have MANY to download and install

#5 ·
I tried to download and run the drivers from the link you gave me, and it says " original drivers are stored in C:\softpage......... Please install the driver through the device manager ". Then tried to go through the device manager and and the computer detected the none functioning device, it is a linksys wireless adapter, ( yes I checked it, it is) . and tells me to use the installation cd. I think this device is an after market device. I guess, I have to get the installation cd. But the computer is working fine it has another wireless device which works fine and the Ethernet card is working good too. it has a good internet connection. every thing seems to work fantastic so far. I put this post using the same computer.

#6 ·
OK
Please come back if there are any problems revealed
If this topic is still open post here and I will get a notification of your post
Please do not forget to check the Anti Virus, as depending of course on what was on the recovery partition you may be on a limited trial and indeed NONE

Also as I said visit Windows update and install all updates
Good Luck with it

#7 ·
OK, I will.
this computer is my friend's computer, there is an expired free edition of avast antivirus in it. He doesn't wont to buy anti virus programs, what do you think if I uninstall the expired one and install new free avast. Do you think the limited free antivirus software programs work good?
as to the windows update, this computer has a windows xp media center edition of 2002 service pack 2, do you think there is an update for this operating system these days? well, it is set to an automatic update, but when I click windows update it tells me to install ActiveX control, shall I install it?

#8 ·
#10 ·
Well now go back to Windows update and click check for updates, now you have activeX it should report either updates are available or no updates avilable

#12 ·
Pleased to have helped

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.