1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Computer Wont start up - Crazy Errors, Never seen before!!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Kyleamor, Oct 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kyleamor

Kyleamor Thread Starter

Im having major issues when trying to start up my Windows Xp PC.
    Its only just started and my computer has been running fine before today.
    Its extremely hard to explain what has been happening so i took a series of photos of the events that take place during the start up process:

First Screen: Yellow vertical lines appear, colour distorted
    [​IMG]

Second screen: Weird series of x0i 's appearing all over the screen
    [​IMG]

Thrid Screen: The Start up option screen printed over the last screen with numerous letters missing
    [​IMG]

After that the Normall Windows xp start up screen, colour distorted and eventually it feezes at this screen and the computer restarts itself.

Now the weirdest thing is, it did this about 6 times then i left it for 15minutes then came back with the camera to take these pictures and it worked like normall... I scanned my computer no viruses. So i thought it must have been some weird glitch so i started doing my normall thing and about 1 hour later it crashed again, and its doing the same thing again, and thats when i took these pictures.

I have no idea whats causing them and i am really confused that it has worked like normall since it started happening

Could it be my Graphics or video card dying?
    Or could it be an error in my hardrive?
    Or something else???
    Please help, any suggestions would reallllllly be helpfull :)

Thanks alot, Cheers

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Make sure the graphics card is firmly in its slot and that its fan (if any) is running smoothly and it is getting good air circulation (remove dust from any vents). For starters.

Think in terms of "heat". Does it run OK after cooling? Are there problems when it has warmed or after it has run a while?

3. Kyleamor

Kyleamor Thread Starter

I will go take out and put the card back in, it does have a fan and it runs smoothly last time i checked i will also remove all the dust as there is a bit of it in there

As for your question, After its been running for a while if im Playing WoW and alt+tab out and in a fair bit after a while it will restart and give me a flash BSOD

4. Kyleamor

Kyleamor Thread Starter

We just removed the graphics card (with fan) and made sure there was no dust on it or the motherboard, The fans working fine and its in firmly

But it didnt fix the error,
    No improvment at all :(

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

Start by trying to solve the heat problem and make sure air flows well. You could also try a memory test, and if you had another graphics card to try, that would eliminate the card as a suspect.

MemScope (Floppy and CD images.)
    Microsoft Memory Test (floppy or CD ISO image)
    Memtest86

If you have enough memory sticks, you can test them by removing one at a time and see if the problem disappears.

If you are running Vista and can boot up, go to Start > Search and type:

mdsched.exe

Choose to run a memory diagnostic on next boot. Or, you can boot from the DVD and run it from there.

----------------------------

As always, run chkdsk /f on the drive from time to time as part of normal maintenance.

Chkdsk GUI

6. Kyleamor

Kyleamor Thread Starter

Cheers for the information,

We are starting by using my brothers graphics card as a replacement to see if my graphics card is the problem.

If the error continues we are going to check the power supply as that could also be affecting the computer.

If both these techniques dont work i shall try your suggestions and do a memory test :)

7. Kyleamor

Kyleamor Thread Starter

It was the Graphics card

We put my working brothers into it and it ran perfect so looks like ive got to go out and get a replacement

Thanks alot :)

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

That certainly narrowed it down. Thanks for following up.

9. Venatir

Venatir

Hey,

Just using this thread if its ok, since it has pictures of almost the same problem that i got like 2 days ago. I was playing a game then suddenly the screen got disorted or like smudged almost then turned black and nothing responded if i tried to click or use the keyboard. So i rebooted, then i saw my screen was like in the first picture, almost the same, colors and letters and just stuff thats not supposed to be there.

Then the next loading page one came after the siemens logo and it i couldnt read anything, it looked like russian letters almost all over, missing letters, and colors and just random disturbance.

But, my computer stopts there and wont load any further, i dont even get to see the windows logo, and it says at the bottom "try to use ctrl+alt+del to restart or something" i cant read the whole thing since i cant see all the letters/signs..Doing that wont help either..

So is this the same problem as the guy above or more, or is it something else? My first thought was the video card, but the computer wont even load to windows, or should it even do that if the video card is dead?

Thanks in advance!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!