1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Computer Won't Start

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by HaveANiceDay2000, Nov 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HaveANiceDay2000

HaveANiceDay2000 Thread Starter

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for reading this and any input you have.

Long Story Short: The computer doesn't turn on, doesn't light up, no fans, doesn't click. I was told it was the Power Supply or motherboard. I tried replacing the Power Supply, but still no lights, no fans, no nothing. I want to get a motherboard tester, but if the Power Supply isn't giving it power, then that effort is pointless, from what I understand. Please let me know how to get my power supply working or let me know a good direction in which to troubleshoot next.

Long Story Long:
    1. My computer is a custom-built system.

2. I unplugged a hard disk drive from this computer. (Open case, unplug drive, close case.)

3. When I tried to power on the computer, nothing happened.

4. Thinking perhaps the cord/power strip/ outlet was a potential problem, I tried a new cord, powerstrip and outlet. No dice.

5. Two techie friends said it's probably the power supply or the motherboard.

6. I found this about.com article about
    manually testing my power supply
    . I tested the 24 pin motherboard power connector manually with my multimeter. Initially, several of the +5VDC Pins (4,6, 21,22,23) tested out at +5.32VDC, outside the maximum range of +5.25VDC. And under load, lots of pins (1-3,6, 8, 10-14, 20-24) tested 0VDC. I decided to buy a new power supply.

6. I replaced my X-Power 585 with a Thermaltake TR2-600W. Carefully checked all the connections twice. No dice. Still no sound, no lights, no fan, nothing. Does that mean that my new power supply is bad, too? My next step was going be testing the motherboard with a motherboard test card (was going to buy the FlipPOST ISA & PCI Motherboard Test Card), but if the motherboard isn't getting power, my understanding is that the motherboard test won't work.

Any insight, input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

FYI: I am not experienced with computer repair, but have swapped hard drives and installed operating systems. This summer I learned through tutorials how to install brakes, replace an alternator, and replace most of my car's front end, and like to learn new things, so I don't mind figuring things out from manuals and tutorials. I have more time than cash. :)

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Use your multimeter to check the Voltages from the new PSU under load.

If there are still 0V readings where there should be voltages I would say the motherboard is faulty.

However try it with the motherboard out of the case to eliminate the possibility of a board to case short.

3. HaveANiceDay2000

All voltages are zero even when it isn't under a load. I'm going to return the power supply, and will update when I get the new power supply.

Thank you, managed. Now I feel that 'I'll never walk alone' on this computer fix. ;)

4. HaveANiceDay2000

I returned the power supply unit to Best Buy, they bench tested it and agreed that it was dead. Best Buy had a sale on the same power supply unit, so I picked it up for $10 less and they gave me 5% off because of the hassle with the dead PSU.

I tested the new PSU once at home. Now it is back in the case, the computer works as well as before and I'm back to trying to solve my original hard drive problem. Thanks for your help.

5. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    That's great about the PSU. :)

You're welcome. And thanks for mentioning my favourite song !

Will you start a new topic about the HDD issue ?

6. win2kpro

win2kpro

On thing to be aware of is you may have the same problem you had with the unit you just returned.

Reseller purchase power supplies in cartons of 10 or 12 to a carton. There may be a defect in all the units in that "batch". If the problem occurs again, take the power supply back to the reseller and get a different make and model.

7. HaveANiceDay2000

@managed I will start a new post on the HDD issue, thanks.

@ win2kpro Thanks for the warning. I was pretty satisfied that the PSU was from a different batch when the new PSU came in updated packaging, but I will be aware of that possibility going forward.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025900

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice