Solved: computer won't start

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

BWG1

Recently, computer began running more slowly, but did function okay. Three nights ago, I defragged, hoping that that would impove the speed. The next day, we couldn't get onto the internet via the router. Yesterday, the computer would not turn on. When I push the "on" button, the lights come on, but immediately go out. Nothing works. I checked the electric cord and nothing appears to be wrong with that and the surge protector is on.

HELP! What can I do to turn this computer on???

Thank you!
BWG1

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
HELP! What can I do to turn this computer on???
It would require a genuis to answer that with certainty
However you may I think presume that you have serious problems.
I would suspect a faulty power supply, motherboard fault or other hardware failure.

Is it a desktop if so when did you last open the case and clean the cooling fins to the CPU and the fans.
If it is a laptop when did you last clean the vents - the small grill for the air intake.
Post details of the computer more than just HP Pavilion

BWG1

It would require a genuis to answer that with certainty
However you may I think presume that you have serious problems.
I would suspect a faulty power supply, motherboard fault or other hardware failure.

Is it a desktop if so when did you last open the case and clean the cooling fins to the CPU and the fans.
If it is a laptop when did you last clean the vents - the small grill for the air intake.
Post details of the computer more than just HP Pavilion
Thank you for responding, MacB. What is a "faulty power supply"? Would the blue lights flash on if the power supply is bad? Although it's a laptop, I have it plugged into the current though a power surge protector. We opened all the panals on the back of the computer and checked for dust...none visible, but we gently blew it out with compressed air. No improvement.

HP Pavilion dv9000, purchased around Nov. 2006. Harddrive replaced in Dec. 2009 due to numerous problems.

I appreciate any suggestions!

B.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
The PSU is the computer power supply unit.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_supply_unit_(computer)
It supplies basically 4 different voltages 12volts 5 volts 3.3 volts and a -voltage.
If the PSU was supplying the orignal 12 volts to start and then failing this could cause the symptoms you have.

I say COULD because it could aslo be the motherboard

Try it without the surge protector I have known these go faulty

BWG1

I contacted a repairman and dropped the computer off yesterday. I appreciate your info and advise.
Thank you. Bonnie

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Sorry we could not help further.
Best wishes for a successful repair.
Please mark the thread solved
It saves people looking to see if help is still required.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online