Solved: Computer won't startup

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

djpsyqosis

HELP! I was updating a video driver, then restarted my computer. It takes a LONG time to boot up, then flashes an error message on the screen for a second, then restarts.

I've tried holding down F8 to startup in safe mode, but it doesn't respond. Also, even when I have the win xp CD in while rebooting to try to repair the OS (yes, the CD drive is the 1st boot device), it won't recognize the CD either. I'm in a heap of trouble without my computer; please, any advice will save me from going insane. thanks!

RAM-PAGE

Banned
Download oldbios.exe from the bottom of the downloads page at http://ebcd.pcministry.com and make a redirector bootdiskette, on another computer, to direct the boot from the floppy to the CD-ROM. Save you altering the BIOS.

If you have a keyboard with a PS2 plug you might have a better chance to use F8 if your keyboard is wireless or USB.

or you can try this

Start System Restore from DOS
Starting System Restore Tool from Command Prompt
1. Start your computer to Safe Mode with Command Prompt.

NOTE: You must log on as the administrator or a user that has administrator rights.
2. At the command prompt, type %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe, and then press ENTER.
3. Follow the instructions on the screen to begin restoring your computer to a previous, functional state.

RAM-PAGE

Banned
What did you do? If you will let us know and also mark the thread as Solved that would be a big help.

djpsyqosis

the video driver made my monitor almost impossible to read-- the white text was dark purple so I couldn't see it. So, when I tried a different monitor, i saw that the screen to get into safe mode was indeed there; i just couldn't see it before. Uninstalled bad video driver and got things back to normal.

RAM-PAGE

Banned
Good job. Thanks for letting us know. We'll now be coming to you for advice. :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online