1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Computer won't turn on when jumper port is plugged in?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JoshtheNoob, May 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JoshtheNoob

JoshtheNoob Thread Starter

I'm using a custom built computer i bought off of craigslist in good condition. Has 32 Bit XP OS.

So my problem is, i have to keep the cable that plugs into the jump port( I MAY or may not be correct) unplugged, otherwise it wont even strart up, when i unplug it, it starts the fans and CPU, But says like No boots disk detected. Im fairly new to computers in terms of hardware, but this happened when i moved it out of my room so i could get my carpets cleaned, could moving it had done something? i don't think my HDD is fried, but that could be the case.

Ill keep checking this thread through out the rest of the night until if you need anymore information

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Chuck Trusted Advisor

Exactly what do you mean by a "jump port"? Can you provide a picture of this port and the cable?

3. Windows4life

Windows4life

at above

Id assume he means a USB Port
    Some people call USB Drives Jump Drives or Flash Drives.

4. JoshtheNoob

[​IMG]

Whenever i plug in the cord into the four prong "Jumper Pins", it shuts down.

5. win2kpro

win2kpro

There is no cord that plugs into the jumpers. The jumpers set the drive as master, slave or cable select by moving the jumper cap.

6. JoshtheNoob

Then i must be plugging in something wrong, because i have a cord that plugs into both of my HHD's, at the jumper pins.

Now to the part of, no Disk entered? does that mean my Hard drive is fried?

7. prunejuice

prunejuice

You shouldn't be plugging in drives on a running machine.

8. win2kpro

win2kpro

One of the problems is the names you are using. In the picture you posted the 4 shell molex connector on the right hand side is the power connector. It should have a yellow wire on the right side looking at your diagram, then 2 black wires, then a red wire. This 4 connector supply's power to the hard drive.

Next to it will be a small area that will have either 8, 9 or 10 small pins. This is your jumper where you set the function of the hard drive, i.e. Master, Slave or Cable Select.

The wide cable is the data cable and has 40 pins and either 40 small wires or 80 small wires.

If you unplugged and re-plugged the power cable with the machine powered on you may have damaged the hard drive.

Try this; Unplug the machine from the power source and press the power on button for about 30 seconds to discharge the capacitors on the motherboard. With the machine powered off and the capacitors discharged, plug in the 4 pin molex connector on the right side. The yellow wire should be to the far right, but the plug should only plug in one way.

When the plug is plugged in plug the machine back into the power source and try to power on the machine. If the hard drive is not damaged the machine should start up and boot to Windows. If the machine fails to start with the hard drive power line plugged in it is likely that the hard drive is damaged and is shorting the motherboard or power supply so the machine won't start.

9. JoshtheNoob

Yeah thanks, my hard drive must be fried, because i did unplug it like that, like an idiot, and when i have something plugged into the jumper port, when its shut down, then try and turn it on, all i get is my lights on it flash a little then instantly turn off.
    Thanks.

It does start with the power plug on the hard drive, only it still tells me that there is no hard drive on the computer

10. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

But again, you should NOT be plugging any cord into the Jumper Pins as labeled in your diagram. No cables attach to those pins, only a small jumper like the white one shown in the picture here: http://www.pcstats.com/articleimages/200504/hddinstall_jump.jpg

The only things that should connect to that type of hard drive in your picture is the "Power Connection" and the "IDE Cable".

11. JoshtheNoob

Ok, i need more help. i've been looking for an hour on my Motherboard and the internet.

I Have a M2N-SLI Deluxe Asus Motherboard.
    I Think i found my problem, i found the connector that hooks into the motherboard is cracked, so i figured it probably fell off, which made it not connect to the motherboard.

Im fixing the connector, but i have NO IDEA Where to put it. i cant find a about 15 pin plugin for the connector. Do i even connect it into the motherboard?

12. win2kpro

win2kpro

Without seeing a clear picture of the connector and the color of the wires that connect to the connector you reference, that question is impossible to answer.

13. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Chuck Trusted Advisor

The M2N-SLI Deluxe Asus Motherboard has both Parallel ATA and Serial ATA interfaces. The drawing in your post #4 is for a Parallel ATA drive. Are you 100% sure that your drive is a parallel ATA drive and not a SATA drive? SATA drives use a 15 pin connector with five wires for power.

Attached Files:

14. win2kpro

win2kpro

Since this was a custom machine sold on CraigsList the seller may have used a 1st generation SATA drive which had both a 15 pin SATA connector and a 4 pin molex for power.

I remember that those drives had a warning sticker on them not to use both types of power connectors simultaneously.

15. JoshtheNoob

Yes i am using what you speak of. both were plugged in and worked at the time.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/926018