1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: computers no longer seeing each other

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ottiliegirl, Apr 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ottiliegirl

ottiliegirl Thread Starter

I once had three computers that I was the owner and administrator of, as well as the sole user of each of them. After a crash one computer was renamed, the second was "partially renamed" and the 3rd not touched. Now I cannot access these computers over my network. When I log in and try to move files between them I get an error message " you do not have permission to access. Please contact your network administrator. " Since I own and administrate all three computers I have no one but myself and I have no idea where to begin to get these computers recognizing each other again. If anyone thinks they can help me I will post the essentials as you request them. Thank you for any help you may be able to give me.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "partially"? Either the computer (host) name is the same or it is different. What do you mean by "partially renamed."

Anyhow, I doubt that changing the computer name will affect file and printer sharing. Did you reinstall an OS or now using a different account?

What operating systems?

3. ottiliegirl

Thanks for your interest in my problem. I had three computers that had the following names:
    PATS DESKTOP, PATSPURPLEPC, PATSBLACKLAPTOP. In my homegroup they appeared as:
    pat(PATSDESKTOP), pat(PATSPURPLEPC) & pat(PATSBLACKLAPTOP). When two of my computers crashed after using WinZip I was directed to a computer repair co. in India who took control of both computers. I was told they had to rename the computers due to a corrupt file. I stopped them before they before they went any further. Now the computers have the following names: ottilitgirl(PATSPURPLEPC) pat(PATSBLACKLAPTOP) and the desktop remained unchanged. The username on both laptops is "ottiliegirl" and I thought the name outside the parenthesis should be the same. I am purposefully excluding the desktop as this time until I get the two laptop talking to each other again. I can no longer get into files between the two laptops. When I try to transfer pictures between them I get an error message saying I do not have permission. My operating system is Windows 7. I have not changed anything else. I know I was told that everything on the purplepc was now pointing to "ottiliegirl" in the registry. I don't know that for sure on the black one.

What do you mean by "am I using a different account?". I log in on both laptops as user "ottiliegirl" but when all this started that company in India pointed out to me that they could not delete (nor should I ever let anybody delete) the user name "pat" which was the original user name for all computers. I hope this information helps. I know nothing about changing permissions and very little about networking. I did set up this homegroup and network myself several years ago but remember very little about how it was done.

thanks for listening.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Sorry, I did not realize you were using a Homegroup, and I know almost nothing about them.

When this was working did you login with a user account called, say, "pat" but now you login with a different account, say, "ottiliegirl"? I believe that your answer is 'yes.' :)

Maybe it would be best to leave/disable/delete (don't know what term to use) the current Homegroup and set up a new one.

5. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
  6. ottiliegirl

I haven't used HOMEGROUP in many years. That was old information but I included it in case the difference in the names was important for you to know. I believe in Windows XP that was the only way to go. Perhaps I should delete that in order to avoid confusion. My network name was CTwireless until cablevision installed a new router and it became a number. The network name was changed on 11/3/14. My crash was 11/28/14 and I think the network was working properly up until then. Sorry for the confusion.

7. ottiliegirl

In response to DaveA - all computers have the same password to HOMEGROUP but as I stated above I do not use HOMEGROUP anymore.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    No, Homegroups were introduced in Windows 7. Only Windows 7 and later Windows versions have Homegroup capability.

So, you are actually trying to do "traditional" file and printer sharing? What operating system(s)?

9. ottiliegirl

If HomeGroups were only introduced in windows 7 then maybe I'm more confused than I thought. Could I be using Homegroup and not network? I don't know any more. However, here is something I just discovered. When told to check the passwords on all computers I found something I had not seen on either of my laptops. I went to the start button on the desktop computer and was trying to click on Control Panel when I saw right above it NETWORK as a choice. Network does not appear on the laptop computers when I chose the start button. Does this have any significance? Again, I am running Windows 7 Home Premium.

10. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    If you are not using HomeGroup then your network may be WorkGroup which was the default before Windows 7.

These laptops may have a manual on/off switch for the wireless, did you connect by wireless before this problem?

11. ottiliegirl

All three computers were originally wireless but the desktop is now wired. I found the following information tonight regarding the network settings:
    Name Active Network Connections
    PATSDESKTOP Network2 Local Area Connection
    Home Network

PATSPURPLEPC 16a2b6 5g HolbLinksys 16A2B6

PATSBLACKLAPTOP 16A2B6 Wireless Network Connection

I don't know if any of this is relevant. I also saw something that indicated that a firewall might be preventing access so I had Norton take control of my computers to see if that was a problem but they said they found nothing out of line. However, after that I tried accessing files on the desktop from the PurplePC and found that I could and did transfer files between them in each direction. That gave me hope and I tried again between the Purple and Black laptops but could not access either way. I received the same error message about not having permission. I hope something here hits something in your minds that might help. Thanks again.

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Not significant. It simply means you have the Start Menu configured to not include Network.

Make sure you have file and printer sharing (if that's what you are using) set up the way you want it ...

Short description for Windows 7 and 8/8.1 file and printer sharing:

Go into the Network and Sharing Center from the Control Panel or from the Network icon in the Notification Area. Your network must be designated 'Private' (or 'Home' or 'Work'). Click on Change advanced sharing settings. In the Private or Home or Work section you can configure File and printer sharing, Public folder sharing, and Password protected sharing.

You may want to change the Workgroup name. To check it or change it right click on "Computer" and select "Properties."

You must uninstall or properly configure any non-windows firewall (security suite).

13. ottiliegirl

The first and only easy answer is that Norton confirmed that my firewalls are properly configured. No matter what I do I can not make a change to permissions to allow the Black computer to access either of the other two. I have to think that it involves the name changes that took place after the crash. Either that or something in how the network is named. Thanks everyone for helping me. If you come up with any other ideas please let me know.

14. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    It might be "easy" but it is probably also a useless opinion. Uninstall Norton and run Symantec's Norton Removal Tool. You can reinstall it after testing.

15. ottiliegirl

Does it make a difference that Norton took control of my computer and checked that it was configured properly? If I run the removal tool, what does it remove?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1146067

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice