1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: computers won't connect to network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by famok, Mar 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. famok

famok Thread Starter

I had a network wich was connected through a cable modem to the internet.
    After we moved to another house, i have an internetconnection through a speedport W 501 V over ADSL.
    My main computer is connected with an excellent connection,:)
    The other 3 computers can see the speedport, but cannot make a connection:mad:. The IP adress can not be refreshed. You cab see that the strength of the network is strong for these connections.:confused:
    Because the signal was to weak for the other computers i have bought a Linksys wireless G-range expander.

How can i connect to the internet, how can i create a working XP workgrope as i had earlier (or is one problem connected to the other)

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Can the computers connect via ethernet?

If your network is secured, disable encryption on the router and connect that way. Assuming success you should be able to re-enable encryption and reconnect. Use WPA-PSK (or WPA2) if possible. If you must use WEP use a HEX key, not an ascii passcode.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

How many wireless computers do you have? Rather than that range extender, I'd be considering hi-gain antennas and perhaps a signal booster, much easier to get working properly.

Hawking Tech has a number of products that will help you increase your wireless range. The root page is Hawking Hi-Gain™ WiFi Range Extending Products.

Some of the more interesting products are this Hawking [HSB2] Hi-Gain WiFi Signal Booster, which can be used on either end of a wireless connection to boost the signal power.

Another way to increase your signal strength is by the use of hi-gain antennas. You can choose from omni-directional or directional models, here are a some examples.

Hawking [HAI7SIP] Hi-Gain 7dBi Omni-Directional Antenna

Hawking [HAI15SC] Hi-Gain 15dBi Corner Antenna

[HAO14SD] Outdoor Hi-Gain 14dBi Directional Antenna Kit

This is just a sample of available products, many people have hi-gain antennas with similar specifications, but I haven't seen any other suppliers of signal boosters.

4. famok

famok Thread Starter

In search of a solution i came across something that did the trick.(y)
    I removed the usb network adapters and replaced them with linksys pci cards.
    Reception and maintaining network stability are no langer a problem.
    Installation in a matter of minutes, no problems anymore.

I wish to thank anyone who has helped me.

I think this concludes this item:)

5. famok

famok Thread Starter

For the record,
    i have connected 4 computers in a simple network (XP workgroup), with a speedport 501 router

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the top of the page in the upper right corner.© :)

[​IMG]

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/698214

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice