1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Conexant router: works via USB, but doesn't via ethernet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by duda, Sep 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. duda

duda Thread Starter

A note: I am UTTERLY illiterate concerning networking (and English is not my mother tongue), so if someone knows how this problem can be solved, I will be thankful if you use as simple words as possible. :)

A week ago I got Conexant router (4*ETH+1*USB). It was already configured, the only requirement was that I must set LAN connections in all of my computers to "automatic IP" (and whatever else that goes with it - everything must be "automatic"). I connected it via USB and it works perfectly.

Now I wanted to add two more computers, both of a new generation and having LAN ports, drivers and connections. I've heard that you can't have USB and ethernet simultaneously, but the manual of the router claimed I can have them, so I connected my laptop with the router via ethernet cable. The laptop didn't recognize anything, it couldn't activate the "Quick setup" option on the CD I got with the router (so I couldn't do the online confirmation), and FURTHERMORE: my main PC (the one that's connected via USB) lost connection that very moment; even the icon in its "Internet options" dissapeared. I had to unplug everything and reinstall USB. The same happened when I tried to connect the other computer.

Then I deinstalled USB from my PC and tried to connect it via ethernet (it also has ethernet port and LAN-ethernet connection created, so I guess it fullfills all the requirements). The lights on the router were showing that everything was OK, but of course it wasn't. It didn't work at all.

Then I tried to apply "repair the connection" option, and it failed, saying that it couldn't create my IP address. I have no idea what it means, but obviously something's wrong. Though again, can it be THAT wrong that I can't connect none of the three computers via ethernet? A damaged cable is out of question, for I tried two different cables (of the same type, of course), just in case. I suspect it could be something with IP adresses, but I don't dare to touch anything, because both the manual and the local provider insist on "automatic IP", and that's how I set them. Also I don't dare to touch the configuration of the router. The technical support is slow and I get information in pieces, and somehow I doubt they will manage to help much.

IF someone knows how to solve this... and explain it to me (the worse part of the task, I suppose)...

THANKS!

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

1. Remove power from the router
    2. Power down the Ethernet connected machine.
    3. Disconnect any USB connections.
    4. Connect only one Ethernet connection.
    5. Power up the router, wait two minutes.
    6. Boot the Ethernet connected machine.

Post the following results.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following command:

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

3. duda

duda Thread Starter

I don't have any ethernet connected machines at the moment, just this one that is connected via USB. Should I unplug it before I follow these steps? I want to try with another PC, not with this one, but maybe this USB connection can affect something? (Sorry if the question is stupid...)

4. duda

duda Thread Starter

OK, my question WAS stupid, you had told me to disconnect USB, but I didn't see it immediately.

I followed the whole process (step by step) on this PC (the two other appeared to be unavailable at the moment and one of them even lost its LAN-ethernet icon, it seems I will have to reinstall the driver) and it refused to show the window with the information. (I mean the black window that should appear after this command.) It showed it just for a split of a second, and then it dissapeared. Now I remember that I tried the same option two days ago, for I needed to see the IP of the very computer (Start - Run - ipconfig), but it appeared just for a nanosecond, I couldn't even catch it with PrintScreen button.

Now I am back on my USB again... any suggestions? :(

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    As John wrote, you type ipconfig /all in a Command Prompt window. Type cmd in the Run box to open a Command Prompt window.

In addition to what John asked for, also show the ipconfig /all for your current USB connection, please.

6. duda

duda Thread Starter

Sorry, it doesn't work. I typed CMD into a "run" box, got the command prompt window (C\Windows\system32\CMD\exe), typed IPCONFIG /ALL (taking care about the space), clicked the right mousebutton, chose "sellect all", pressed "Enter" - and nothing happened. I still have the same black window with the version of my XP and "Documents and Settings" lines.

I apologize because I am boring, but our family job (and our income) depends on our computers and includes a lot of Internet, so this situation makes me feel desperate. :(

7. duda

duda Thread Starter

PS I've just tried it now with USB connected again, and the PC is still refusing to give me any information.

8. duda

duda Thread Starter

Can anyone at least explain to me why I don't get any report after these steps? Or I get it... somewhere, but don't know how to find it?

Thank you very much in advance.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Are you really sure nothing happened? What is supposed to happen is that the selected text is put on the clipboard. When you pasted to a post or a text file you got nothing?

Another way to get the information is ...

ipconfig /all > c:\config.txt

That is assuming your hard drive is the C drive and will redirect the output to the text file config.txt. You can then copy those contents to a post here.

10. duda

duda Thread Starter

Yes, I know, but this is all I got in both cases (I didn't find it interesting enough to post it):

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.
    C:\Documents and Settings\Duda>IPCONFIG /ALL

As you can se, for some reason it doesn't work. I tried it with another computer, and got the same result, except the different name.

11. duda

duda Thread Starter

FInally I got both reports, for some reason my computers had just refused to cooperate yesterday. I guess they were frustrated.

Here are the reports:

WHEN CONNECTED VIA ETHERNET CABLE:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : duda-bj3gi3crut
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : VIA Compatable Fast Ethernet Adapter

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-11-09-62-F2-6B
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.201.121
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

C:\Documents and Settings\Duda>

WHEN CONNECTED VIA USB CABLE:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : duda-bj3gi3crut
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : VIA Compatable Fast Ethernet Adapter

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-11-09-62-F2-6B
    Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.201.121
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 8:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Conexant USB Network Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-06-4F-4A-FE-D1
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.13
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.0.0.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.2
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.2
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.2
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, September 25, 2008 1:42:33
    PM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, September 26, 2008 1:42:33 P
    M

C:\Documents and Settings\Duda>

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You apparently have Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) enabled. That's probably not causing a problem here, but I'd disable it anyhow until resolving the ethernet problem.

The APIPA address usually indicates a failed router LAN port, cable, or NIC.

In some cases it can be a non-Windows firewall (security suite) blocking all access. I doubt it in your case because the USB works. You could try the ethernet connection with Safe Mode with Networking. If it works, then the problem is a firewall or other software problem.

Before working on any of the above try these repairs.

(From a JohnWill post)

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2 or SP3.

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

13. duda

duda Thread Starter

The first reset succeeded, but it seems that the other one didn't. But I will check if it helped, and thank you very much. :)

In case this didn't work: as I never used safe mode and I am a bit scared to try, can I replace that step with a simple disabling of my KIS for a while? (All other firewalls are disabled in my PC.)

Thank you once again.

14. duda

duda Thread Starter

YOU ARE MAGICIANS! :) I managed to reach Internet via ethernet cable. THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Now I just have to see if there's any trouble with connecting more computers. (I hope there won't be.)

THANK YOU ONE MORE TIME! :)

15. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :)

If you have a problem with another PC we're gonna wanna see the ipconfig /all.

When you get everything working you can mark this "Solved" using the button at the upper left of your 1st post.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753074

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice