Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: Configuring A Wireless Home Network

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  TerryNet 
#1 ·
I have a desktop computer that is connected to my ADSL modem and printer, and it is also connected to a wireless router. My laptop computer, which has wireless, can connect to the Internet using the desktop's ADSL modem and router without any problem, but I would also like to be able to print from the laptop, as well as share files between the desktop computer and laptop.

How can I do this? Can someone please post some detailed instructions?

#4 ·
Tanna.Winter, if, as you describe, you have modem to desktop to router to laptop and are using ICS, modify the following instructions accordingly. I am assuming that at least one PC has Windows 2k Pro or XP.

Run the Network Setup wizard. Tell it each of your computers connects to the internet via "residential gateway" and that you want to enable file and printer sharing. Windows XP firewall will be properly configured by the wizard. You must uninstall or properly configure any 3rd party firewalls on each machine. Unique computer names and same workgroup, of course.

The Shared Documents folder is automatically shared. Any other folders or printers you want to share, just right click on them and sharing ... .

When you first go into My Network Places there will be nothing there. The first time you click on 'View Workgroup computers' will probably result in great disappointment. It takes awhile (20 minutes; even hours) before all the computers in the workgroup get up-to-date and accurate lists of the other computers. Often you can speed up this process via Search for other computers, and a few computer restarts.

When computers show up in My Network Places, double click on one to see its shares. If that includes a printer, you can right click on the printer to connect to it.

Yes, radiocynic, you need to start your own thread.

#5 ·
Tanna.Winter said:
I have a desktop computer that is connected to my ADSL modem and printer, and it is also connected to a wireless router. My laptop computer, which has wireless, can connect to the Internet using the desktop's ADSL modem and router without any problem, but I would also like to be able to print from the laptop, as well as share files between the desktop computer and laptop.

How can I do this? Can someone please post some detailed instructions?
In XP you will first have to make the printer shared. go to control panel, printers and fax's right click the printer you want to use and click share this printer.
Next click add printer, choose pick a network printer, choose browse for a printer, you should see your printer click on it, click next and it should install your printer to the network.

#6 ·
TerryNet said:
Tanna.Winter, if, as you describe, you have modem to desktop to router to laptop and are using ICS, modify the following instructions accordingly. I am assuming that at least one PC has Windows 2k Pro or XP.

Run the Network Setup wizard. Tell it each of your computers connects to the internet via "residential gateway" and that you want to enable file and printer sharing. Windows XP firewall will be properly configured by the wizard. You must uninstall or properly configure any 3rd party firewalls on each machine. Unique computer names and same workgroup, of course.

The Shared Documents folder is automatically shared. Any other folders or printers you want to share, just right click on them and sharing ... .

When you first go into My Network Places there will be nothing there. The first time you click on 'View Workgroup computers' will probably result in great disappointment. It takes awhile (20 minutes; even hours) before all the computers in the workgroup get up-to-date and accurate lists of the other computers. Often you can speed up this process via Search for other computers, and a few computer restarts.

When computers show up in My Network Places, double click on one to see its shares. If that includes a printer, you can right click on the printer to connect to it.

Yes, radiocynic, you need to start your own thread.
It's all working perfectly now! I can share the files and can print from both computers.

Thankyou to everyone for your help!

#7 ·
good day sir!
i have the same problem with this thread...i have a desktop and 2 laptops that shares internet via Linksys Wireless G Broadband Router...i also wants them to share files and printers..
the network setup was smooth on the desktop but i am having problem with the laptops...
i use the "wireless network setup wizard" in my laptop and the choices were:
-setup a new wireless network
-add new computers or devices to the "***" network (*** is an existing network, i think)
what should i do?

thanx!

#8 ·
hey, i cant view the "network setup wizard" on control panel that's why I use the "wireless network setup wizard"...
I saw the "network setup wizard" on start->all progs->accesories->communications... and when i try to run it, it says:
"The wizard detected that this computer belongs to a domain. Therefore you cannot use this wizard to set up a network"
how will I solve this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.