1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Configuring wireless router for the first time

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Mitjko, Feb 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mitjko

Mitjko Thread Starter

Hello to all,
    I'm configuring my home wireless for the first time. I have bought ASUS wireless router RT-N10E

User manual is here:
    http://www.produktinfo.conrad.com/d...19-an-01-en-ASUS_RT_N10E_WLAN_ROUTER_N150.pdf

The current setup at home is the following. I have ADSL modem which is set up in the router mode so I have ethernet cable which I plug to my notebook and IP address is assigned automatically and Internet works fine. There are no any setups.

Now according to the manual, this setup of wireless router should be fairly easy. Now network cable that was previously going to the notebook is plugged in to WAN input port on wireless router, and new ethernet cable is connected from one LAN port to notebook (just for the purpose of setup).
    So, I use this quick install setup but at the first step: "Detecting connection status" fails so I need to skip to manual.

Can you assist me here? If everything is put on automatic it still doesnt work. I have put everything to factory settings and wait for your instrctions. I cannot understand why this auto detect QIS is not working and I'm not sure what to do manually.

I didn't try to set up all adresses manually. Right now this ADSL modem that was used to go to the Internet through ethernet cable have 192.168.1.1 IP address, but this same address have also wireless router.
    My friend told me that this doesn't matter since all I need is to use that ethernet cable from ADSL modem that at first was going to the computer to connect to WAN on Wireless router

What I need to pay attention to?

Thank you

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    To connect two routers that way they need to be using different LAN IP subnets. Change one of the routers to use LAN 192.168.3.x. When you make the change the Dhcp server address range may change automatically or you may have to change it manually (changing the third number from 1 to 3).

3. Mitjko

Mitjko Thread Starter

Hello,
    thank you for the answer. Does it mean that I need to change subnet masks also (255.255.255.0) ?

Should I set up like in the attached picture? Please note that original ADSL modem is TP link ADSL+router whhich is set up with PPoE conenction and has username and pass stored on it, and so far I only needed to connect ethernet cable direct to notebook.

Now when wiFi router is added I need to connect this ethernet cable from ADSL modem to the WAN port of WiFi.

Attached Files:

4. dlsayremn

dlsayremn

From what I see in the manual, you need to set the Operation Mode of RT-N10E as an Access Point. This will disable the DHCP server, firewall, and NAT on the ASUS and allow it to work as a switch/WAP getting IP address assigned by the TP-Link.
    See page 22, Chapter 4, of the manual.

This will change the IP address of the RT-N10E and you will need to use the Device Discovery Utility (page 31) to find the new one.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Subnet Mask stays 255.255.255.0.

Setting "the Operation Mode of RT-N10E as an Access Point" is actually preferable to what I suggested. Few routers can be configured this way so easily. Kudos to dlsayemn for checking the manual. :)

6. Mitjko

Mitjko Thread Starter

Hello to all,

I have managed to solve my problem. I left this ADSL router settings as is. This was normal to do because it worked with ethernet cable connection to the notebook.

The only problem was configuration of asus wifi router. I managed to solve it by changing IP address of this router to 192.168.3.1 with DHCP enabled.

This way I was able to connect with network key ( which I defined) to access internet. I left wifi router to work as internet connection sharing and not as access point. I learned that if I set it up as AP, then I need to use static IP.

Thank you for your help.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089246

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice