1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Confused! - Intel Core Duo and Intel Pentium 4....

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nick8539, Aug 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nick8539

Nick8539 Thread Starter

Ok guys someone please help me understand this better. Are intel core duo the best or fastest processor out now? Also if a laptop is Intel Core Duo 2.0 GHz and a pc Intel Pentium 4 3.66 GHz which processor is faster?

Im not understanding what the X.XXGHz mean...is that based on the processor?

I understand that Intel Core Duo has 2 processors and thats why they are so great....does that mean that it is 2.0GHz per processor? so its really 4.0GHz?

sorry if I'm way off here but I want to understand this better.

Thanks.

PS. Im not sure where this would go so please feel free to move if necessary.

2. Seth13

Seth13

The Core 2 Duo was just recently released, and is currently Intel's flagship processor. I'm not sure on the Ghz question, hopefully one of the old geezers that come here can answer that better. Its something to do with the architecture, or design, of the new chips, that the GHz rating isn't the most important factor anymore.

3. GCDude

GCDude

Youre pretty much spot on Seth.

Each core will be running at 2GHz, but it isnt as simple as saying it would be comparable to a 4GHz single core processor. It would only be this case, if the architecture was the same, and the software that was running on the dual core machine could split its load equally between the two cores.

Has that cleared matters up of have i made things more confusing ;) ??

4. Nick8539

Nick8539 Thread Starter

Well sort of.....so right now its intel pentium 4, intel core duo, and core 2 duo is currently the fastest one?

So what is the fastest intel core duo (GHz) that you can find now?

Comparing an intel pentium 4 3.66 GHz computer with a intel core duo 2.00 GHz can I be able to determine which one might be faster? (all other specs are the same).

Just trying to get a better overview

5. Seth13

Seth13

I think the fastest core duo is around 2.4 ghz.

6. Nick8539

Nick8539 Thread Starter

I see...ok i think im getting a better understanding now. Ill just keep reading. Thank you both.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!