1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Confused on my processor speed - Screenshot attached

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by smooth, Jul 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. smooth

smooth Thread Starter

First Name:
    Garrett
    Hey everybody :D

I recently used the site that tests for game compatibility, that is posted in the sticky in the Games forum.

I ran it, and it says that my processor is a 797 MHz processor. When I bought the laptop, it was listed as a 2.0 GHz processor.

When I look into my properties of my computer, I get two speeds for the processor. I have attached a screenshot of what it looks like. What is the speed of my processor?

Attached Files:

2. EasY_TargeT

EasY_TargeT

Dont go by the my computer properties, use your bios. That will tell you your abosulte processor speed. Under computer properties or something like that. BUt your processor is 2Ghz as it says in the cpu name. Did you decide to underclock it... ALOT?

3. smooth

smooth Thread Starter

First Name:
    Garrett
    I haven't done anything dealing with underclocking. In fact, I don't really know what it means, or even how to do that. :D

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The CPU speed can change depending on heat and on usage, and if its running off battery or AC.

5. Jones

Jones

Mobile processors sometimes have built-in settings designed to control how fast the processor operates. This is to conserve battery power. It will only operate as fast as it needs to to perform the current activities. If your computer is just idling, it will step down the speed to save on power.

You should be able to disable this feature in the BIOS if you want to have it operating at 2 ghz all the time. It should be listed as 'processor speed stepping' or something like that.

6. EasY_TargeT

EasY_TargeT

Wow, didnt even know about that, you really do learn something new everyday.

7. Jones

Jones

8. smooth

smooth Thread Starter

First Name:
    Garrett
    So basically, it is running at whatever speed is needed, depending on what is going on?

For example, I should be able to play a game that requires say 1.5 GHz, since the processor would run at what speed is needed?

9. Jones

Jones

Theoretically, yes. ;)

Seriously though, you should be fine. Best way to find out is load it up and give it a shot.

10. smooth

smooth Thread Starter

First Name:
    Garrett
    Thanks for all the help everyone. :D

Basically I wanted to make sure my Laptop would run the games, before I bought them, so I wouldn't have to worry about returns and things like that. It looks like my laptop should be able to run Oblivion (crosses fingers), since the processor speed was the only thing that was not showing on the Required. It is actually fast enough, just showed up as slower do due mobile.

I know I'll have to run Oblivion at a lower setting though, since I only have 128 MB of Video Ram, since it is recommended to have 256. I should be ok though, (again crosses fingers) :D

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!