1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Connect 2 routers together?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Nick8539, Jul 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rolandk10

rolandk10

I see it like this,

Router 1
    dhcp enable
    cable in port 2 ->router 2

Router 2
    Port 1->cable in from router 1
    dhcp disabled
    routing set to router (according to manual this has to be set for dynamic routing. Even if dhcp is off, it's still a router. Is there a setting in the list by any chance that says none? if so, try that setting)

The few times I've set this up, I turn off routing finctions on the second router so it just turned the router into an access point

2. Nick8539

Nick8539 Thread Starter

Well what i get is it flashes on and off continuosly. Like hazard lights on a car:p
    Its suppose to stay lid with the occasional flash so im not sure if this can work. but ill try regardless.

thats almost how i have except i have in Router 2 Port Uplink -> cable in from router 1. and with routing set to router it made no difference. I will check with dynamic routing now.

One more thing that has happened the last few times i've unplugged. When I take the cable from from router 2 to plug it straight to PC#2 so I can check these posts, I am also getting the limited connectivity and its not letting me connect so I have to set up manually. Since its working this way, what if i try setting it up manually when I have router 2 connected?

Im not sure what the default gateway or the dns should be.

Router 2

Ill get back to you guys let me go try the other suggestions.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    With the routers connected, from a PC connected to router 1 do a ping 192.168.2.2.

If replies, we know that the routers are successfully connected.

I'll be back tomorrow. Don't forget to get some sleep if you're working tomorrow! :)

4. rolandk10

rolandk10

I too need to sign off for tonight but will be back tomorrow.

5. Nick8539

Nick8539 Thread Starter

Well I tried that and from PC#1 which is directly connected to the primary router i pinged 192.168.2.2 and got a request timed out. So the issue is definitely getting the routers to connect. Tomorrow I will do more testings and maybe get the routers next to each other so I can play with them better and reset/restart them as needed.

Yeah your right. :cool:
    Lets continue this tomorrow. I hope we can get it to work tomorrow.

Rolandk10 good night to you. I still havent tried with the latest settings you said so first thing tomorrow after work Ill try this. We still have hope!

Night all!

6. Torquin

Torquin

I couldn't help but pass up this thread on connecting two routers together on a home network since I too once forced myself to go through that very dilemma. Some background and on then to the explaination!
    This happened just because I didn't want the hassle of running long cables for my laptop when I went to a friend's house. So armed with my laptop, my own wired/wireless router and an ounce of determination I went at it for a few hours. I can't retell my delight enough when I finally connected my router to his and successfully surfed the net from my laptop wirelessly! Happily enough the method I used came up later in my Cisco class a few days later. So enough of that tale I will try to retell how I succeeded as best I can despite the two year time-lapse.

My laptop ran windows XP Home edition, my friend had a wired only linksys router which was common back in 2004 and a little earlier. My router was a Blitzz wired/wireless Super 108 G. What I had to keep in mind was that between devices like routers there exists a separate subnet, there is no denying it you will be dealing with at least two of them! One will exist between your routers (and any computers will be on that which are directly connected to existing router (1)). The second will exist on the other side of the wired/wireless (2 in your case) router, where you connect most of your computers. The physical layout was as follows, router 1 was plugged into the cable modem through the wan port and my friend's computer was connected wired into port 1 of that router. I then used a crossover cable between my router and his router. This is because the routers are same layer devices and in most cases this will be needed. My laptop was wirelessly connected to my router. The details here get a little fuzzy but I will try my best to remember. My router had an external address via WAN port (although I'm not sure if this was set by me or by the other router's DHCP, either is possible if mine was set to accept one). Its address was on the 192.168.1.0 network. My laptop was configured to accept an address via DHCP from my router on the 192.168.2.0 network. Now the next part is very important. What was needed now was a way to communicate between the networks. This can be done by routing protocols (complex at times) or static routes (configured by an administrator (you!)). These are much simpler but can be tedious for larger networks with many networks and subnets. I used a static route on my router to forward all traffic headed for the ISP's address to go to 192.168.1.1 (router 1). I had no need to really communicate with his computer but I'm sure a static route could have been made to forward all data destined for the 192.168.1.0 network to go to 192.168.1.1 (router 1). This is half of the communication they need a way to get back, although I don't remember doing this my hind sight says that router 1 will need a static route to access network 192.168.2.0 by forwarding traffic to 192.168.1.2 (or whatever router 2's IP address is on the 192.168.1.0 network). I may also have statically set my laptop's gateway to that of the ISP, I don't remember. Appologies for the lengthy post, hope all this helps! :cool:

7. Torquin

Torquin

Suggested setup in a snap:

Router1 connected to ISP via WAN port as it has always been
    enable DHCP (suggest disabled on the IP address that you expect router 2 to use)
    static route to 192.168.2.0 via router 2's IP address

Connect Router 1 to Router 2 with a crossover cable (straight-thru if it doesn't work) from a number port on router 1 to a WAN port on router 2.

Router 2 static IP for the WAN side on the 192.168.1.0 network
    DHCP enabled for 192.168.2.0 network
    Static route to ISP address via router 1
    Static route to 192.168.1.0 via router 1
    *OR*
    If a default route option is available use that with the destination as router 1 to skip the two previous static routes

Connect your computers to the appropriate routers using DHCP to aquire all needed setup info.

If this doesn't work let us know what happened so we can get closer to the solution

8. Nick8539

Nick8539 Thread Starter

Thank you guys. I am at work now but will let you know as soon as I get home.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Usually you can daisy chain routers per Torquin's post, but you don't really want to do that. You can get internet access that way, but you don't get full file sharing among all computers.

I think that it's important you do Rolandk10's suggestion to connect the two routers with your newly bought ethernet cable. My prediction is that the LEDs will act nice, and you will be able to ping router 2 from PC#1. If you can't get a connection with this cable, maybe it's time to trash router 2. If you do get a connection, buy a new cable of whatever length you need.

You'll be able to disprove my current theory easily, but here it is.

Theory:
    Your long cable is Cat 4 (max. 16Mbps) or old Cat 5 that has degraded to where it no longer supports 100Mbps. When you connect the two routers, both of which have 10/100 ports, they quickly decide they can play at 100Mbps but the cable can not support this. I don't know if the flashing LEDs indicate confusion or swearing.

Why does PC#2 work with the cable, you are no doubt asking. The other part of my theory is that PC#2 has a 10Mbps ethernet adapter, or it is software set to 10. Look in Device Manager for the exact name of the adapter (or controller). If it has '100' or 'gig' in the name, it's not 10Mbps only. You may have to search the web to try to find specs. Also, right click on the adapter, select Properties. If there is an Advanced tab, see if the speed is set to 10 Mb full duplex or 10 Mb half duplex.

10. Nick8539

Nick8539 Thread Starter

Here is the setup I currently have and my reasoning for wanting the second router. Maybe by explaining myself better I can get a different way of doing this.

PC#1 is in one room and is connected to primary router.
    from the primary router I have one cable about 50 ft long which i use to connect to PC#2.

PC#2 is in another room and is connected to the primary router as well in port 2 by the 50ft long cable.

I also have 2 laptops which connect wireless to PC#1.

What I want to do is put my secondary router next to PC#2 so that I can use it as another access point for my wireless laptops so that when Im in that part of the house.

I was using the 50ft cable (which i know it works since thats how i normally connect to PC#2) to connect the two routers together. I also bought a 7" patch cable to connect from the secondary router to PC#2.

So this is where Im stuck. I only need my secondary router to function as an access point for my laptops and to connect it to PC#2 since im using the cable which connected primary router to PC#2. (the 50ft cable)

Also, i know my secondary router works ok because this is the router i was using a couple of days ago before i bought the new one.

My primary router is
    WRT54G
    DHCP enabled

My Secondary router is
    BEFWS114 ver 3.2
    DHCP Disabled

Ok. Sorry for the long post but just making sure everyone is sure of what Im trying to accomplish. Maybe there is an easier to way to set this up?
    Thanks.

PS and once again, im still at work so I wont be able to try anything until I get home:)

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Good summary! You have set it up properly for what you want to accomplish. For some reason that 50' cable is not doing the job. Please see my post #39. It will take you mere minutes to test connecting the two routers with the new cable. If that test (good idea, Rolandk10!) doesn't give us the answer, it'll at least give some good information

12. Nick8539

Nick8539 Thread Starter

Ok. As soon as I get home i will bring the routers together and connect them together with the 7" patch cable that i just bought last night. Ill let you know what happens...
    Thanks

13. Torquin

Torquin

Granted its a bit unusual a setup, I believe the additional static routes between router 1 and 2 will clear up any issues with file-sharing. The routes serve as street signs telling the data where to go when it is headed for another network/subnet.

14. Nick8539

Nick8539 Thread Starter

Yeah I guess it is but I didnt know any other way to do it. :D
    I still havent tried the way you said. I will try that as well with the static ip to see how that works out.

Ill be home around 5:30 pm so I'll let you guys know what happens then.

15. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

But why would you go to all that trouble? :confused:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/487993

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice